cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fgabriel26
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

How can I get rid of yahoo as default engine?(firefox)

After I restarted my computer, firefox asked to install site advisor plug-in.. after I did every attempt to search on the main browser bar ended on yahoo instead google wich I had defaulted.  I checked about:config and google was still default search engine so I uninstalled site advisor plugin to see what would happen but it still goes to yahoo...

7 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: How can I get rid of yahoo as default engine?(firefox)

I dont have Firefox.But I`m sure It would work the same way.Here are some Images Below.When You install Site Advisor dont agree to change it to Yahoo as your Default.Also dont click Yes to Home page.

Yahoo.JPG

Use Show site & block links (recommended)

Go back into Fire fox & change home page Back it will work.IF you have more Questions.Just ask.

fgabriel26
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

well I didn't had that choice for firefox plugin and after uninstalling the plugin it still change the default search engine

well it changed keyword .  I think I can get this working again

Ce message a été modifié par: fgabriel26 on 24/02/12 19:13:34 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

In Firefox click on the Search engine logo to the left of the Search bar, then 'Manage Search Engines.

(Click images to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

Highlight Yahoo and click remove.

Capture.JPG

See if that helps.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/02/12 8:32:02 EST PM
user_6174
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I guess you are talking about when you type something into the main address bar in firefox ? ie nothing to do with the search box ? It is EXTREMELY annoying that McAfee changes this to default to yahoo, even though I am pretty sure I unticked the yahoo boxes etc.

To resolve: in the firefox address bar type "about:config" and OK the warning. then search for "yahoo" and you will see one entry called "keyword.URL" which is set to something to do with yahoo. Change this entry so that it reads "http://google.com/search?q=" and you should find it searching from google again

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

It doesn't change them without asking first.   It's all part of SiteAdvisor settings.   My search preferences have never changed from Google through several upgrades and uninstalls/reinstalls of McAfee software and I haven't had to resort to about: config alterations....except to bring up a specific URL on new tabs and that's because of changes brought about in Firefox latest versions.   If it changes for some people it's because they don't pay attention to the prompts that come up as shown above.

It's not McAfee's fault if people blindly click OK or I Agree to everything that pops up.

Anyway, as this is from early this year I would assume it's all sorted out now for the OP so have marked the thread as assumed answered.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/10/12 10:01:05 EDT AM
noyahoo
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

This is an incorrect answer.  According to technical support the only search engine supported as of a week ago is Yahoo.

I find it incredibly awful that a software vendor who I have trusted to protect my computer has now "hacked" my compute by changing a default without notice, and without authorization.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

I beg to differ.  Google search is supported too and all you have to do is switch search providers in your browser settings.   I guess they signed an agreement to plug Yahoo, that's all.   Keeps things either free or low cost that way.

SiteAdvisor Secure Search has always used Yahoo.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/12/12 7:51:34 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community