cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jon_malins
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: How can I fix/remove integrated Site Advisor?

Jump to solution

Sorry been using bad shorthand.  Not XP.  I am using win7 and trying to uninstall from Programs and Features.  Only uninstall option is all or nothing.

I am using commercial McAfee Internet Security - this has Site Adviser integrated.

I have disabled it in Firefox, but that is not my problem.  My problem is that this issue stops Thunderbird attaching to my smtp server so it cant send email (how?)

If McAfee tech support don't come through with a fix I will try uninstall/clean and reinstall.

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 21

Jump to solution

Actually Thunderbird has many issues with Mcafee try disabling in Real time scanning the scanning of email attachments that fixes most of the TB issues. We mods have been trying for 9 mths to get this fixed and am restarting the bug complaints again .

Are you getting slow deletion of emails and receiving of emails as well?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 21

Jump to solution

Two separate problems here :

1 - A message that SiteAdvisor isn't working. What did it say exactly? Can you post a screenshot?

There is a known problem with SiteAdvisor not communicating properly with the servers. If you have still have version 3.7.125 wait a bit, there's a new version coming (3.7.139) which might - perhaps - fix this. Although no promises.

2. MVT says a SiteAdvisor process (mcsacore.exe) isn't running : we're all seeing this, and it might be a false report. It doesn't seem to make any difference when SiteAdvisor is actually working. Can't verify this with the new McAfee updates since MVT now crashes every time I try to run it

jon_malins
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Jump to solution

Hi Peacekeeper.

Yes have done this previously.  I have turned McAfee Real Time Scanning off AND McAfee Firewall.  These don't fix the problem either.  It seems the smpt SSL port has been hijacked somehow.

Yes I get lots of slow email/delete issues.

jon_malins
Contributor
Message 15 of 21

Jump to solution

Hi Hayton.

1) The original Siteadvisor message only appeared once (and I am kicking myself for not recording it).  If I enable Site Avisor in Firefox, it seems to be running OK.

2) MVT reports Siteadvisor 3.7.1.139 Process(es) not running (1).  If I look in Diagnsotic details it shows problem file is mcsacore.exe.

So - Site Advisor seems to be running but the update which had the problem has cause an issue with Thunderbird.  I was happily sending emails until the update event, then no more.

NOTE - when the Site advisor error message first appeared, I noticed an issue with Aero as well.  If I hovered on taks bar, none of the Thumbnails associated with Firefox or Thunderbird appeared.  Not sure if there is a clue in this.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 16 of 21

Re: Re: How can I fix/remove integrated Site Advisor?

Jump to solution

I suspect you are relating Site Advisor warnings that appear in Emails where a Suspicious link is being inserted. You might have seen Red Rectangle box giving this message. Could you please confirm if this is what you are trying to indicate.

jon_malins
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Jump to solution

Hi Chinthanai.  NO that is not what I am seeing.

I had a one off message that occured during McAfee update telling me that Site Advisor had stopped.

I restarted PC.  NO MORE Siteadvisor messages. But what I do get:

1. MVT tells me Siteadvisor process not runnig (maybe a false alarm)
  2. My main problem - something is intercepting SSL SMTP Port 465 preventing Thunderbitrd from sending outgoing mail.

Jon

jon_malins
Contributor
Message 18 of 21

Jump to solution

FIXED.  Sorry guys - but I was hit by an unfortunate coincidence.

McAfee update error AND BT Yahoo change the name of the SMTP server.

Edited my Thunderbird settings and mail is now working.

BUT as Peacekeeper points out - Thunderbird mail is slow if McAfee is on.

Jon

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 21

Jump to solution

disable email attachment scanning and wait for a fix is the distant future. attachments are still scanned by the Real Time scanner when they are opened.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Jump to solution

You can ignore that MVT message about mcsacore, I got a reply back from the techs that this is a bug (a pretty minor one) in MVT.  It's a false alarm, as you surmised. If that's all it says you can take it that SiteAdvisor is working correctly.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community