cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jon_malins
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

How can I fix/remove integrated Site Advisor?

Jump to solution

My McAfee updated recently and I got message Site Advisor not working.  This has also stopped Thunderbird from attaching to smtp server.

Ran Virtual Tech.  It confirms Site Advisor process not running.  "Fix it" claims success.  But a re-sacn shows it still broken.

Just need to fix it or remove it.  Can't seem to find a way of removing integrtaed Site Advisor.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Re: Re: How can I fix/remove integrated Site Advisor?

Jump to solution

You can ignore that MVT message about mcsacore, I got a reply back from the techs that this is a bug (a pretty minor one) in MVT.  It's a false alarm, as you surmised. If that's all it says you can take it that SiteAdvisor is working correctly.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 21

Re: How can I fix/remove integrated Site Advisor?

Jump to solution

SiteAdvisor or SiteAdvisor Enterprise (not sure because you posted in Business).

jon_malins
Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Jump to solution

Site Advisor - sorry private user not business

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 21

Jump to solution

@ jon_malins,

Did your Site Advisor come as part of your McAfee Suite? You may attempt going to www.siteadvisor.com and reinstalling over it. In some cases this resolves the issues. Ex_Brit  or someone else could probably add more to the discussion.

Just a thought....

All the very Best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator 1

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 21

Jump to solution

OK I moved this to Consumer > SiteAdvisor.  There are ongoing issues with it in Thunderbird.   If you want something similar look into using WoT or similar until it's fixed.

For now you can remove it only from the browser by going into Add-ons and disabling it, then restart the browser.  Or you can uninstall it completely from your machine. 

If it isn't listed in Control Panel > Programs and Features, then click the item marked either McAfee SecurityCenter or Internet Security etc.  then there should be an option to remove just that portion.

From time to time you can try it again by reinstalling it from http://www.siteadvisor.com.  Unfortunately I have no idea what fixes are included in the latest version and I don't even have that one yet so can't tell.

llamamecomoquie
Former Member
Message 6 of 21

Jump to solution

Hi there,

You can go to add or remove programs and then remove it or if that does not work, you can go to the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and search for SiteAdvisor then copy the uninstall key and execute that key from run window (Windows key +R)

Best regards,

Jose Maria

jon_malins
Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Jump to solution

It is bundled in.

jon_malins
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Jump to solution

Add/Remove offers to remove all McAfee components, but will leave Site Advisor installed as a free gift

jon_malins
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Jump to solution

Site Advisor does not appear in Add/Remove and I am unable to find a Registry key either.  CClean can't find it either,

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 21

Jump to solution

Then simply disable it as an add-on in your browser.  It should then be disabled altogether as long as you close and reopen the browser to make sure it takes.  Forget that Registry idea as I can't even find that key anyway.   It probably applies to the Enterprise version.   Add/Remove (I gather this is XP? you know it's will soon no longer be supported?) should have given the option to uninstall everything or just Siteadvisor.

Alternatively uninstall everything and run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and then reinstall using the Custom method from the online account, this time omitting SiteAdvisor.   I can't guarantee that will work with bundled software but it does with regular retail.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community