cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mic23474
Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: How can I find the reason for SiteAdvisor's warnings about a website?

Hayton, thak you very much for the help and ideas!

I will update this topic once I have the answer - for future generations 🙂

Best,

Mic.

AlphaCentauri
Former Member
Message 12 of 19

Dangerous link:

abundantlifeacademy.info/alablog/wp-content/uploads/2007/news-239-2008-07-21.html

That page has a malware download. The content on the page appears to have a link to relationshiptalk.net (actually it just links back to the same website).

fsboflips.net/anti/types-of-depressants-drugs.php

That is a link farm with both legitimate and spammy links. Since your site is less well known, perhaps it was detected but not whitelisted.

streamofpassion.com/newsletter/attachments/images/page2174.html

Google says that was a dangerous page and that there was a link to your domain, but the content has been removed now.

mic23474
Contributor
Message 13 of 19

WOW thank you!!!

I will check those ASAP.

mic23474
Contributor
Message 14 of 19

mmm... those sites are linkijg to us. It is not that we link to them - I don't think this has any effect as we can not control who links to us (there are a lot of spammers out there who just scrap info and post it on their sites).

AlphaCentauri
Former Member
Message 15 of 19

It's true. Some of the links are to the spammer's own pages, to boost its site rankings, and some are to good sites, to make it harder for search engines to just delete all the linked urls from their indexes. But it may give you an idea of how your site came to look like it was a problem when it was an innocent bystander.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Pay attention to what AlphaCentauri says. He knows places to look that I've never even heard of. If you read this, AC, many thanks for the extra input.

jcollake
Former Member
Message 17 of 19

I have found the answer is smple: You have to go to the link provided, their 'TrustedSource'. Then you create an account. Then you can check out domain stats and it has a detailed rundown going back throughout the site history. I just realized this today myself. This gives you ALL the information the volunteers have, I *think*.

on 3/3/11 4:55:11 PM GMT-05:00
AlphaCentauri
Former Member
Message 18 of 19

How can I find the reason for SiteAdvisor's warnings about a website?

I checked the whois history at DomainTools. The domain was registered to an address in Moscow when first registered in 2005, but has been registered to various names/addresses in Israel since May 2007. Still, although who.is has the correct information in their whois lookup, they have the original information in their "Website Information" feature:

http://www.who.is/website-information/relationshiptalk.net/

I don't think that should affect the site's rating though. SiteAdvisor is pretty oblivious to mismatched addresses on websites.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 19

How can I find the reason for SiteAdvisor's warnings about a website?

That site gives more information than the Whois sites I was looking at. I've bookmarked it for future searches. Thanks for the reference.

jcollake has also pointed out something useful : I don't have an account at TrustedSource. That's something I shall put right as soon as possible. He's a bit wide of the mark in thinking that I only use McAfee sources in trying to establish what's wrong with a website's rating. The problem with pinning down rating questions is that SA uses the 'Cloud', which means that if something gets flagged somewhere it feeds back into the general pool of information availavble to SA, but may not, as it were, leave an audit trail. I have to look in as many places as possible for a potential clue, and sometimes I don't find anything. Sometimes I find a 'clue' which isn't, and I go off in the wrong direction. But there are certain areas where I know problems do occur, and those all have to be investigated. I do my best with what I have access to, but I'm always looking to do better.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community