cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjay
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

HTTP 2xx or 3xx status response code in the header of 404 pages.

I am getting this error when trying to verify I am the owner of www.jjaystaxidermy.com.

It appears that the Web site jjaystaxidermy.com (or www.jjaystaxidermy.com) is returning an HTTP 2xx or 3xx status response code in the header of 404 pages.

We cannot verify a Web site that is configured this way because it allows anyone to verify themselves as the owner of your site. Please update your Web site server configuration to return 404 status codes in the headers for pages that do not exist. Once your site is configured this way then you can return and request a file name verification.

I would like to know how to resolve this.  I have attempted to change my .htaccess file.  Any help would be great.  Thanks so much.

Jeff

21 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 22

Re: HTTP 2xx or 3xx status response code in the header of 404 pages.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/25046?tstart=0

Long thread on it best to ask SA team the links are mentioned in the thread

jjay
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

I read the thread and they said to post a new one for the same problems.  I have checked and double checked my .htaccess and it is located in the correct place and linked to the correct page.

jjay
Contributor
Message 4 of 22

I read the entire LOCKED thread again and I have looked into all the resources listed within.  If I don't get a green light it is going to hurt pretty badly.  The It appears that the Web site jjaystaxidermy.com (or www.jjaystaxidermy.com) is returning an HTTP 2xx or 3xx status response code in the header of 404 pages is written horribly.  No one and it seems even those in here has a clue to its tru meaning.  Leads me to believe my header is messed up in my 404 page.  www.jjaystaxidermy.com/there_is_no_spoon.html will link you to my custom 404 page.  So the issue regarding my .htaccess file is resolved after many hours.  Any actual help would be great.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 22

Pointed a mcafee SA team member to this post

jjay
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

It has been 4 days...Is there any way I can get some clue as to how to fix this?

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 22

I did PM a staffer maybe he was away. Give it another 2 days then I will try another.

jjay
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

I checked my status again today.  Still the same.  We are at the one week mark and still no answers on how I can solve this problem.  Even google has already ranked my page and that process is forever slow.  All I need is an explanation from someone as to what mcafee actually wants to see and no one seems to know.

Message was edited by: jjay on 5/17/12 2:43:33 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 22

Will reask him to pop in

Have you actually contacted Site advisor to ask?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 18/05/12 6:40:16 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 18/05/12 7:13:09 AM
jjay
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Yes I have contacted them.  I have researched this issue countless hours.  I have searched and found hundreds upon hundreds of site admin who are having this problem.  It gives you the error and tells you to fix your header.  It does not tell you what is actuallt wrong.  All of the information out there points to a sites .htaccess file not directing to a proper 404 error - page not found.  I followed the instructions as my 404's were being directed to a default page by my host.  I created a .htaccess file and a custom 404 page.  My site now directs 404 errors to the correct page as all before me said to do yet I still get the same response when I try to claim the page as mine.  I understand that it is gray and not red but anyone I know with mcafee site advisor will not click any link if it is not green.  I need to have a green to make sure I am getting all of the hits I can as my business depends on it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community