Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spc3rd
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Gaming websites; Siteadvisor rating should be re-evaluated

Good afternoon everyone,

I have noticed when visiting quite a few gaming websites, SiteAdvisor gives a green rating, despite the fact that when I click to read the security report, it clearly states the site is known for phishing, malware and/or other scams.

This would seem to be a contradiction in the SiteAdvisor rating system which should be re-evaluated.  How can a gaming website with known phishing/malware, or other security issues be given a green (safe) rating?

Thank you for your time and review of my inquiry!

2 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: Gaming websites; Siteadvisor rating should be re-evaluated

Can you provide two or three examples of these sites? Better give them in the form "gamingsite dot com" just to be safe.

And if they're suspect in any way I hope that you have Windows, McAfee and your browser all up to date when you go there, and have security in your browser cranked up high. Again, just to be safe.

spc3rd
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Gaming websites; Siteadvisor rating should be re-evaluated

Good evening Hayton,

I've listed 4 gaming sites which SiteAdvisor displays a green icon, but the security report indicates security issues.  (the website is shown in bold, within parentheses & the word DOT is substituted for the actual dot in the website name):

Website name                                           TYPE & # of issues stated in security report

"brothersoftDOTcom"                            Adware, viruses, spyware - 69 reports

Browser exploits - 3 reports

Phishing - 3 reports

"wildtangentDOTcom"                            Adware, spyware, viruses - 21 reports

Phishing - 2 reports

"retrogamerDOTiwonDOTcom"            Adware, spyware, viruses - 9 reports

Phishing - 1 report

Spamming - 1 report

"gamesDOTsoftpediaDOTcom"            Adware, spyware, viruses - 23 reports

Browser exploits - 1 report

There were also some sites which were stated to have "potentially illegal software."  Please note, I did not access any of the above sites...I just stated in this post  what was in the SiteAdvisor report for the site.

Hope this helps some Hayton and thanks very much for your response to my inquiry!

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 6/5/11 9:39:05 PM ADT

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 6/5/11 9:41:08 PM ADT

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 6/5/11 9:43:01 PM ADT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community