cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nproctor1
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Forgot the passwork I used to disable my McAfee SiteAdvisor,

Need help in obtaining the password I used in setting up my McAfee SiteAdvisor, need to disable it so I can veiw certain web sites. Help!!!!!!!
1 Reply
PraveenRajaretn
Contributor
Message 2 of 2

RE: Forgot the passwork I used to disable my McAfee SiteAdvisor,

Hello,

We received your message asking whether there's any way of disabling SiteAdvisor's Protected mode when the password's forgotten. Thank you for contacting us.

As of now, there exists no way of disabling protected mode if you have forgotten the password through the SiteAdvisor client. We are implementing this feature in our future releases.

However, there's a workaround. You can follow one of the 2 methods listed below:-

1. Over-install SiteAdvisor. This will clear the registries . After install, open IE and you can set a new password if you want to.
2. If you do not wish to re-install, then please follow the steps given below:-
(i) Open Registry Editor. You can do this by typing 'regedit' from Start->Run
(ii) Navigate to "My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SiteAdvisor\".
(iii) Delete the folder named 'Premium'
(iv) Click 'Start' and click on 'Run'
(v) Type 'services.msc' (without quotes on the Run Dialog)
(vi) In the 'Services' window, search for 'SiteAdvisor Service'. Right-click on it and select 'Restart' option.
Now, check open IE and check whether SiteAdvisor toolbar is displayed.
(vii) Open IE, and Enable protecetd mode. You can set your new password over here.

I stongly suggest the first option. I hope this solves the issue. Thank you for being a McAfee customer.

Sincerely,
Praveen Rajaretnam
Associate Software QA Engineer
McAfee SiteAdvisor Consumer QA
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community