Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yowza1
Contributor III
Message 1 of 13

Firewall protection shows ON on Home Page, and Settings shows Firewall OFF

Jump to solution

On my McAfee Home page, my Firewall shows ON.  When I go to the Firewall Settings, it shows that the Firewall is OFF.  I have tried ti turn the Firewall ON in the Settings using the Turn n button, button, but it does not allow me to change it.  Consequently, all areas under the Firewall Settings are Grayed out.

I have reinstalled McAfee over the current McAfee installation, but that had no effect.  So I uninstalled McAfee completely, then reinstalled.  Still nothing changed. 

My laptop is on wireless home network running WIN 7 and IE8.  My guess would be that I need to contact support?

Thanks....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yowza1
Contributor III
Message 5 of 13

Re: Firewall protection shows ON on Home Page, and Settings shows Firewall OFF

Jump to solution

Ok...Jay definitely helped me out on this one.  It appears that there is a incompatibility with Windows Firewall and McAfee Firewall for Win 7.  Normally, McAfee can turn the Windows Firewall OFF while they install  the McAfee product.  On my XP machine McAfee had no problem turning off the Windows Firewall for installation.  But on the Win 7 Firewall, McAfee was unable to turn it off before installing their product.

Jay assisted with this defect and all is well on my Win 7 machine.  TY TY TY.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

Yowza1,

Please click Windows button along with R button and it will open RUN box.

Type “services.msc” on Run box and hit Enter Key.

It will open Windows Services. Please locate Windows Firewall service and change it to Automatic and start the service (if it is not already started).

Restart the computer and check that status of the issue.

yowza1
Contributor III
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestion, but Settings still show Firewall OFF.

Any other suggestions?

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

You should if you have not already tried to contact Technical Support found at the top of this page under Useful Links. I would first run the McAfee Virtual Technician which you will find after you click the Technical Support link. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issue and if it finds any it will attempt to fix it. MVT^ will genearte a session number which you should post here on the forum. You could then contact by Chat the McAfee technician who has the ability to remote connect in to your computer to see if any conflicts are there. You need to grant them permission to do this and they have many more tools available than we do here on the forum.

Let us know how this works for you.

yowza1
Contributor III
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

Ok...Jay definitely helped me out on this one.  It appears that there is a incompatibility with Windows Firewall and McAfee Firewall for Win 7.  Normally, McAfee can turn the Windows Firewall OFF while they install  the McAfee product.  On my XP machine McAfee had no problem turning off the Windows Firewall for installation.  But on the Win 7 Firewall, McAfee was unable to turn it off before installing their product.

Jay assisted with this defect and all is well on my Win 7 machine.  TY TY TY.

srsaleh2
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

So guys let me get this straight, because I have the same problem...  I need to "start" the windows firewall using services???  That doesnt make sense.  Are you saying I need to UNinstall McAfee first, then disable the windows firewall manually, then INSTALL McAfee, then Enable windows firewall???  Im so confused. PLEASE HELP!

yowza1
Contributor III
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

Just to make sure this is the same...

Your McAfee Home Page says FIREWALL ON.  And when you go to the McAfee Firewall Settings, is says FIREWALL OFF.  If that is in fact, exactly what you have, then the answer is YES - You MUST uninstall McAffee and Reinstall McAfee.....Else you will be Updating Services through Win 7 Action Center.

srsaleh2
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks Yowza1, and Yes that is correct what you described.  However, I did what you said.  I disabled the Windows Firewall Service.  I uninstalled McAfee then I reinstalled it (making sure Windows Firewall was stopped and disabled beforehand).  After my install, nothing changed, I still have the same problem.  Any suggestions?

yowza1
Contributor III
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

Since this appears to be the same, here are my suggestions:

1)  I am not sure of your comfortability here, but  on the Uninstall process, there are residual files that remain on your PC that need to be removed "cleanly" before the Reinstall occurs.  I believe there are "tools" that can assist with a clean removal, but I do not recall the name.  Also, Registry files need to be removed cleanly.  Once the machine is "clean" only then can the reinstall of McAfee proceed.

2) If you are not comfortable with removing these files, then you may use the McAfee Virtual Technician and/or  Chat Support.  They should be able to walk you through any additional actions that may need to be accomplished.

Hope that makes sense?

srsaleh2
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  That does make sense but I don't know what files need to be removed "cleanly" and what registry items need to be changed.  I am comfortable following instructions...  I have used that virtual technician and all that does is tell me that there is a problem with my Firewall Service (that it was expecting it to be installed but it is not installed).  I chatted with support yesterday, and after 1 hour his best suggestion was to re-install the product.  He said he could escalate it and I said yes please do.  They were supposed to call me back last night but they did not.  I have already uninstalled and installed about 3 times and each time I have to wait for it to download the EXE from the website.  Its rediculous that we cannot just save the stupid EXE file to our local drive...  I appreciate your feedback very much!!!  You are helping more than McAfee is...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community