cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freabel
Former Member
Message 1 of 17

Firewall blocks ICS (Internet connection sharing)

Hello!

I have two lap-tops:

1. "Host" laptop (Vista) connected to the Internet via wired LAN with Total Protection installed

2. "Guest" laptop (Win7) with Total Protecton installed

I create a wifi ad-hoc connection between those computers (manually giving 192.168.0.xx -style IPs) and enable ICS on the LAN connection of the 1st laptop.

The network is established fine but has no internet connectivity (although Win7 Network and sharing center on the 2nd laptop says it has internet access) - applications can't reach internet.

When I disable firewall on the 1st laptop everything works just fine, programms on the second have internet access.

IP of the 2nd laptop is added in My Network Connections with security level "Home" in the firewall settings.

Please advise me what can I try to resolve this.

Thank you in advance.

16 Replies
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 2 of 17

Re: Firewall blocks ICS (Internet connection sharing)

Have you enabled ICS ports from Firewall settings?

freabel
Former Member
Message 3 of 17

Thank you for your answer.

No, I did't open ICS ports. I tried opening all the ports firewall has to offer and it didn't help. Should I add those ports manually? If so, what are their numbers?

Thank you.

iberelrj
Former Member
Message 4 of 17

I´ve tried to do the same, but with IPAD. Same problem, when the firewall is turned-off everthing works fine.

I think we find a bug.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 5 of 17

It will be good if you contact our technical support and allow them to remotely access your computer to fix this issue.

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

iberelrj
Former Member
Message 6 of 17

I made that yesterday, and they said that it is not possible and that they have tried everything. I said that this is not a solution and they should take  the problem on mcafee engeneerings, they told me to ask for apple about the problem, but is obvious that is not a apple problem. If it was, even i turning firewall off it will not works and happens the opposity.

There is something wrong with the mcafee firewall, something is blocking the connection betwwen device and computer even if you disable all configuration on firewall.

By the way the support said that I should use it with firewall disable, but you will agree with me that this isn't a solution also.

MAYBE, they will call me today, if it happens i'll post something more.

user_73364
Former Member
Message 7 of 17

I'm having the same problem but i'm using intel my wifi to create hotspots, do you have found any solution to this yey?, i'm desperate, the only solution is to turn off the firewall, wich is anoying.

im in win7 ultimate and mcafee security center 11.

drmabuse
Former Member
Message 8 of 17

Hi,

i'm having the same problem. I'm using a windows 7 ultimate laptop and try to share the internet connection using the built-in ICS featue. It all works well as long as McAfee firewall is turned off.

Any idea how to adjust the firewall setting to make it work?

fancy
Former Member
Message 9 of 17

I have the same problem since i installed Mcafee latest updates(Mcafee Personal Firewall v12.0.335)

before installing this u[date every thing was working fine!!

jamesbarry
Former Member
Message 10 of 17

Jayadeep NR,

Can you give us an update regarding the resolution of this issue? There are many very annoyed people here (myself included) that have payed for your product but cannot use it.

Thank you in advance for your speedy answer,

James

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community