cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lordpake
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Firefox plug-in update also installs unwanted IE plugin?

Like the topic says. Why?

I never had IE version of SA installed, nor did I want it. Why then was this installation shoved down my throat just like that? I simply allowed Firefox to update Siteadvisor plugin, now I have all sorts of unwanted cr** here ... Including unwanted services and autostart items

This is a poor way to treat your users, McAfee.

Edit: It seems now my explorer.exe has 'frozen', thank you so much for forcing this installation!

Additional edit: It seems the firefox plugin is gone? I can no longer find anything else in the website besides this MONSTER which installs itself to places where I do not need it 😞

If this is the situation now, forcing users to install unwanted stuff THAT BREAKS other stuff (my Explorer.exe freezing!), I can no longer in good conscience recommend Siteadvisor to people who depend on my advice.

Merry Xmas indeed sad
4 Replies
lordpake
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

RE: Firefox plug-in update also installs unwanted IE plugin?

I believe this update broke IE7. I can't enable Menu bar anymore. SA toolbar was placed right where the Menu bar used to be. Now I can no longer activate that toolbar.
lordpake
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Version 28 "hosed" my Internet Explorer 7

I needed to remove and reinstall IE7. That involuntary installation of IE support "hosed" it for good.

Menu bar is back and so are all the options in Tools-menu.

I have done nothing else that could affect IE in such way, therefore I place blame totally in SiteAdvisor.

Edit: I'm still quite upset over this incident. Silly me 😞

Anyhow, here's pasted the feedback I sent to SA.

I sent incoherent feedback earlier already, this is perhaps more coherent.

Firstly, when I allow Firefox to update it's plugin, I do NOT expect it to install new software! How kind of you to inform users in advance about the scale of the update, or how the software would be changed in the coming version.

After I allowed Firefox to update SA plugin to version 28, quite invasive version by the way, which forcibly installed IE support, which I did not ask for as I only wanted to use Firefox version, and after removing whole SiteAdvisor installation, I found out that it had in fact crippled IE 7.

I can not think anything else as a reason why IE's features would suddenly become unavailable. I was unable to activate Menu bar (it seems SA toolbar took its place?) and several other features in Tools-menu were also disabled. This after removing SiteAdvisor btw. I do not know how well or badly IE worked while SA was istalled, because I did not want to install SA IE components, hence I did not care enough to find out. How nice of you guys to ask during install process, by the way ...

I had to remove and reinstall IE7 to restore it's full functionality.

I'm quite upset, having spent several hours in what was supposed to be just another Firefox plugin update requiring only a restart.

Additionally, I am now left w/o SiteAdvisor since the Firefox plugin is no longer available.

supermariokart
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

The older version

The new update made me mad too, but I found a way to download the older version (the firefox extension only). See my post at http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=226473 for more information. (Please read both of my posts because the procedure changed somewhat.)
lordpake
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

RE: Firefox plug-in update also installs unwanted IE plugin?

Spamming every thread here hardly helps ...

I hope they ban your account from here happy
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community