cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathy-14
Contributor II
Message 1 of 7

Firefox - McAfee Webadvisor Icon

When using Firefox, I noticed the add-on icon is greyed out (or blank) when visiting any website except when visiting a McAfee-related website like this forum.  The problem seems to be cosmetic since I can still click on the "visit site report" and takes me to the appropriate McAfee website.  The icon appears as it should be when using Chrome but when using Firefox the issue arises with consistent results (grey or blank icon).      

Edit:  After further investigation, the problem may have been caused by the recent Web Advisor update that was installed 23 March. I currently have the version 4.0 (build: 4.0.7.183) installed.  So, it might not have anyting to do with the recent Firefox update that was installed couple of weeks ago since I haven't experienced any issues prior to the Web Advisor update.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?   

6 Replies
Max1981
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Firefox - McAfee Webadvisor Icon

Hallo, I am also experiencing strange issues with Web-Advisor in Firefox. Seems to be user-account related as Webadvisor is working reliable,  once logged in as "user" and unreliable once logged in as "admin"...

On  "Admin-Account", I am unable to open the "options diplay" within the webadvisor icon!? It is visible but it does not open the options menu. Site reports however can be opened... The icon is also grayed out.

When I am logged in as "User-Account" however, the icon is green. Options can be opened.  There i have Full functionality of webadvisor. 

Technical Deatils:

Firefox Version: 59.0.2 64 bit

WebAdvisor Version 4.0.7.183  (from Info in MC Affe Suite)

In the Addon-Tab in Firefox the Version however the  Version is labeled as 6.0.0.119

Webadvisor was installed within McAffeTotal Protection ( within the admin environment)

What I tried and what did not work:

1) Virtual technician (found 0 Problems)

2) Uninstallation of Webadvisor (cannot be done as it is part of the mcaffee total protection suite)

3) Full uninstallation of Total Protection (Web-Advisor remained on PC and could not be uninstalled - the uninstallation Process did not finish)

4) Full uninstallation using Mc Affee customer removal programm in both (admin and user) environment - by the way:  sad that standard uninstall in win is insufficient...

5) Application of Pre-Installation Tool in both (admin and user) environment

6) Re-installation of MC Affe Total Protection

Currently: Trying to get a fix via community...outcome unclear

Would be great if MCAffe-Team  could fix this.

Hoping for a reply

Kind regards

Max

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Max1981,

You documented the issue very well and followed very logical troubelshooting steps.

One thing that you mentioned may be related - the Firefox WebAdvisor extension is several months old despite the fact that you have a very recent version of WebAdvisor - it appears that the extension is not updating correctly.

If the problem is still occurring, my first suggestion to fix this is to reboot (if you have not rebooted since you did the reinstall of Total Protection).  Yes, I know this is a generic 'have you tried', but there are several reasons that it's the first thing I'd try on my own systems to fix a WebAdvisor update issue.

If the extension version is still old (latest is 6.0.0.134) and the problem is still occurring, try over-instaling from siteadvisor.com (using IE if possible) to get the latest WebAdvisor version. 

If the still occurs after that, please post back.

LiFePO4
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I have the latest version and have the same issue. But I have found it works the first time and then if you close and reopen Firefox it does not work. If I go into add-ons and manually disable Webadvisor and then do a RESTART, not close/reopen you can get it to renable and work.

So don't close and reopen Firefox. This is a bug I want to report.

Also, Safe Search does NOT work in Bing. I tested it in both Firefox and Edge (and yes, I have the latest addon from the MS store for Webadvisor). It does work in Google and Yahoo in both browsers.

I am running Windows 10 64-bit April 2018 Update.

LiFePO4
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Well, as of this morning it does not work at all anymore. It says it updated itself yesterday but the version is still the same. Can we have the old version back, please?

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

kathy-14,

Can you try switching this setting to see if it resolves your problem?

WebAdvisor_Options_AnySearchEngine.jpg

sivasubramanian
Message 7 of 7

Hi Tod,

I have sent the PM. Please respond.

Siva
McAfee 2.5 Technician

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community