cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesrudoy
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

FireFox Seized by McAfee SiteAdvisor

When I launch FireFox it displays with a blank McAfee SiteAdvisor bubble over it. It responds to no mouse or keyboard commands and cannot be closed. The program manager recognizes it as McAfee SiteAdvisor, not firefox. After that opens I can launch responsive FireFox windows from my start button. Why is this happening and how can I stop it?
13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

RE: FireFox Seized by McAfee SiteAdvisor

Moved to your own thread as this is a slightly different issue. Are you using Internet Explorer 8 beta 2? It isn't compatible with any McAfee product. It is being worked on but the only solution until probably when IE8 goes final, is to uninstall IE8. The previous version of IE is still installed.
jamesrudoy
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

No, I am not running MSIE. I run firefox. The word "firefox" appears 4 times in my post. It is not clear to me why you ask "Are you using Internet Explorer 8...?"
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

Because you do have Internet Explorer installed, everyone does, and if it's IE8 beta 2 it will cause this issue regardless of whether or not you use it.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 14

If you have Microsoft Operating system then you will have Internet explorer on it no matter you use it or not.

You cannot remove Internet explorer only upgrade or degrade it.. its the medium via which you get updates from MS.:(
margopapas
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

Hi jamesrudoy, have same problem, have solution

Hi jamesrudoy, I hit the same bug as you did. Take a look at my replies you will find the workaround trick. ( I replied to somebody else's thread ).
However, I had to un-install Only the component "Site-Advisor".
Now my problem is how to re-install a newer and cleaner version of "Site-Advisor".
I don't know how to proceed, any clues ?
Thanks ;

Never publish email addresses on a public forum - where Spambots can harvest them!! MOD
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 14

RE: Hi jamesrudoy, have same problem, have solution

Please remove the email address from the post this is a public forum
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 14

RE: Hi jamesrudoy, have same problem, have solution

I removed your email address as it is very unsafe to publish email addresses for the whole world to see.You can download SiteAdvisor from your account if it's part of your package, using the Customize option. Or, you can download from SiteAdvisor.com.

Sometimes an older version installs, don't worry, it will update within 24 - 48 hours.
margopapas
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

to jamesrudoy, I found temp solution - part-2

Here is the cut/paste of what I wrote to the other thread, take a look:
I did widnows update of VISTA and Java-RTE update, and BINGO things started to fail.
When I launched Firefox, Site-Advisor opened an "empty-white" window and it caused the browser to freeze. Also other "direct-internet" stock-trading applications on my computer hang as soon as I would start them.
Temporary Remedy: Started Firefox in "-safe-mode", and I disabled the Site-Advisor add-on. Then, in Windows control panel uninstall I clicked on "Mcafee secur. centre" and I selected only "Site-Advisor" to uninstall. The uninstall worked fine. Now my computer works fine, but the "Site-Advisor" is completely removed from the computer. I suspect we have a McAfee bug which is interacting with Java and recent Windows Update.
I hope McAfee aknowledges the problem and provides advice as to how ro re-install only a new bug-free version of Site-Advisor, without disturbing the rest of the McAfee software on my computer. If anybody has any ideas please let us and let me know. Thanks.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 14

RE: to jamesrudoy, I found temp solution - part-2

Go to your programs list and uninstall any version of Java except the last one.

Go to Internet Explorer (because McAfee interfaces are in fact web pages, sort of, and rely on IE) and do the following:

If you are running IE8 (any version) uninstall it.

If you are running Internet Explorer 7 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button. OK and exit, close and reopen IE7.
You will have to-enable all the browser add-ons.

If Internet Explorer 6 - go to Tools/Internet Options..
General tab: clear cookies, history and temporary files
Security tab: set all zones to default
Content tab: disable Content Advisor
Advanced tab: set to default. OK and exit.

..and for good measure...

Scan you machine for malware using the free version of this tool: http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community