cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmorrsn
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

FireFox Crashing and IE8 Crashing

I just reinstalled McAfee (Total Security) to correct a conflict with legacy Norton utility last weekend. Two days later, I believe the computer was even used in an intervening day, Firefox (3.0.10, continuously crashed upon opening. I had never seen this sort of crash). It enabled info to be collected and sent to firefox. IE8 when launched, would start opening windows again and again, I race to kill them as they opened and succeeded and had about 10 window open at one time.
I then launched Firefox in safemode, successfully. While doing so, I disabled all my add ins. I then one by one activated the disabled add ins and when I got to McAfee site advisor, the problem recurred. This coincided with IE8 issue.
Now, I have uninstalled siteadvisor and all is working again. It was a very annoying hour or two and I have not heard anything about this.
I am running 64 bit Vista Premium Home PC.

I hope this helps anyone with this problem.
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: FireFox Crashing and IE8 Crashing

Have you completely removed the Norton utility, whatever it was? Did you run their removal tool?

If there anything in your Event Log corresponding with the crash?

Any error codes to go on?

It sounds like SiteAdvisor is clashing with another Firefox add-on.

I'm assuming that IE8 is the final version? It works fine in my Vista along with SiteAdvisor.
pmorrsn
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I found event log problems, but when I sent them to Microsoft, they were generic and suggested solutions, relating to running msconfig did not effect my issue, nor were McAfee involved.

SA may have been conflicting with another add on, but it was SA that caused the problem as adding everyone back, but SA, has the system running properly. Only readding SA, in the context of several others, brought the problem back.

All uninstall were done using Windows uninstaller utilities, not sure of other trustworthy ways to do it.

My system works. I uninstalled and reinstalled mcAfee total security and did not include SA and that is how I now run the computer.

This problem only arose after reinstalling mcafee following it being installed 2 months over a legacy norton scan utility. This impacted updating and some other sporadic functionalities solely related to Mcafee. So it may be related to an update that norton blocked.

IE8.0.6001.18702
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

As Norton and McAfee have never got along too well, on or off anyone's computer, you might want to run their removal tool to make sure that everything is out of the system, reboot and try again.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
pmorrsn
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the tip. I ran the Norton uninstaller. But, I am content with the functioning of my computer and can live without the site advisor.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

OK. Good luck.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community