cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
netmouse
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

FireFox 5 and Site Advisor update

I have XP and FireFox 5.  I installed the updated Site Advisor for it - and have SA 3.4.0.143.  It is not marked as blocked by Fire Fox, but it does not work.  The Site Advisor tool bar is all grey.  When I right click Options, an error pops up error 305.  If I click yes to proceed, sometimes the popup freezes and sometimes or not) then continues to a report.  There are no green check marks anywhere for websites.  I clicked FireFox to check for updates and now have FireFox 6.  Site Advisor still has same problems.  

12 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: FireFox 5 and Site Advisor update

I got the latest SiteAdvisor not long ago and the latest Firefox today. Everything works on my setup, as you can see from the screenshot.  Search listing results have ratings, SiteAdvisor icon is working (although not tested yet on any unsafe sites), Options is working. So the product itself does not have a generic problem - it doesn't fail for everybody, since it's working on my XP machine. The only thing I note is the version number - I have 3.4.0.141, which is the latest version available to me (I requested an update, and there wasn't one).

Possibly one of your Firefox add-ons or plug-ins is conflicting with SiteAdvisor - you could try disabling them to see if the symptoms disappear. If they do, re-enable half of them and see if the symptoms return; if not, re-enable half of the rest, and so on.

What information does the Error 305 you mentioned provide? That might give us a clue to the origin of the problem.

FF6 SiteAdvisor.JPG

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 3 of 13

I also run XP and installed the newest SA (same version as yours). Everything works , except that the bar has  shown as gray most of the time. The only time that it has shown the color codes was early Wednesday (8/24) morning.

netmouse
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

When I right click the Site Advisor toolbar, I get the 305 error which says " 'whitelist length' is null or not an object.   An error occurred in the script on this page."    The heading says Internet Explorer Script Error even though this is FireFox.

If I click Yes to continue, it then (usually) displays the SiteAdvisor screen. 

When I close the popup window it also gives an error - "Exc in ev handl: Error: Bad NPObject as private data! (JavaScript Application)."

The SA toolbar stays gray and there is no green color or check mark to tell me about the site unless I go through the menu choices to display a webscreen.  Whereas IE and Chrome displays a green checkmark or whatever on my browser page without my having to click open anything.

I should add I cleared the cache and rebooted the pc.

I'll try disabling other add-ons to see if that solves things due to some conflict.

Message was edited by: netmouse on 8/25/11 4:40:23 AM CDT
netmouse
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Ok, I disabled all add-ons, cleared the cache and rebooted.   No change.  

There are also about a dozen plug-ins, some from Microsoft, but I'm not going to experiement by disabling them.

I'm going back to using Chrome.   IE is the best at using Site Advisor given it displays checkmarks or whatever by each search item, but overall I prefer Chrome, and over FireFox given that Chrome now has a Site Advisor Add On.

Message was edited by: netmouse on 8/25/11 4:56:59 AM CDT

Message was edited by: netmouse on 8/25/11 4:57:14 AM CDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 13

The whitelist will be the list of trusted sites that you see in the Options window. It looks as if having nothing in the list is causing the error (which would make it a reportable bug). Try adding mcafee.com to the list, and if the error goes away that means you've discovered a bug. You get a brownie point but, alas, no reward. Maybe a cupcake if you're lucky.

netmouse
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Well, what do you know.  I uninstalled SA.   I re-downloaded SA for FF5.   On a reinstall it forced me to first reboot my pc, then I installed.  And it is working in both IE and FireFox.    (Chrome has a separate add-on for SA accessed via it's Add On page). I can only guess it is the order of things - in the middle of this I disabled some add-ons and plug-ins, even clearing the cache and rebooting after updating FF ot the newest release - 6.   The uninstall, reinstall seemed to have cleared things up. 

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 13

That's good. Uninstall/reinstall is what tech support usually suggest, apparently. Perhaps I didn't see any problems because I had to go down that route myself for Chrome and FF after my file system got messed up. Stripping out all the old files and replacing with new ones does sometimes seem to work better than updating a program in-place.

etaoin_shrdlu
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

I solved the problem simply and easily.  Try these steps and see if it works for you:

1. Disable the SiteAdvisor add-on in Firefox (but don't remove it).

2. Re-start Firefox.

3. Check to see if the problem recurs.  It shouldn't (and if it doesn't, continue to the next step).

4. Re-enable the SiteAdvisor add-on.

5. Re-start Firefox.

The problem should not recur.

netmouse
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Etaoin,

That did not work for me.   I posted fix just above, but after a reboot of my pc the mcafee menu is back to grey color and does not work.  If I select menu choice to view the site report, it does display that.  But I've lost the color indicator on the browser to know I'm at a good or not website.   I don't want to have to open a report to know.  So FireFox is not going to be my browser choice.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community