cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcollake
Former Member
Message 11 of 113

Re: Explain this - domain rated RED, despite ALL GREEN downloads, ALL GREEN reviews, ALL GREEN links

Jump to solution

And thanks again, I appreciate it. I honestly am having trouble working until some resolution in known here. It seems every time I've contacted McAfee, things have escalated. I guess I shouldn't have went through the McAfee Secure channel as a backup means, as they might have been the ones behind this. I don't know... beats me. If PEBundle was their concern, the file should have been rated RED, then I could have explained the situation. They did no such thing though, as they had no problem with it. Again, please dig as DEEP as you want to (or have coffee to), you will find no reason for me to be RED. If you do, then at least I'll have a response, something SiteAdvisor and McAfee have not given me. In my rebuttal, I'm sure I will clear any confusion up .

Oh, and please forgive me if I ever seem defensive. It is just that I *know* I'm legit, so get an adrenaline rush when defending myself... I don't mean to sound aggressively defensive, just defensive

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/23/11 10:15:12 PM GMT-05:00
jcollake
Former Member
Message 12 of 113

Re: Explain this - domain rated RED, despite ALL GREEN downloads, ALL GREEN reviews, ALL GREEN links

Jump to solution

Here is the VirusTotal scan of this old, discontinued developer utility -- as I said, it was inclined to be 'that type' of EXE utility that has false positives, and especially since it has been discontinued.. there are a handful of them, but McAfee and others rate it properly as green/safe (which it is). Also, we're talking ONE of 43 of downloads, and this was was NOT EVEN LINKED TO, it was long discontinued... So, dig up the past, and that's all you can find? I'd say SA is on thin ice, wouldn't you?

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=f44630f970074d1f4a0f64f086bac3a74f57bbf2fdd016512...

Again, PEBundle was used to bundle multiple dependencies of a SINGLE application together, like VMWare ThinApp and MoleBox. It was NEVER this 'bundle installer' crap, so do not be confused. I, too, hate software 'bundles' and have NONE on my site anywhere. NO TOOLBARS. NO SOFTWARE BUNDLES. NO ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I AM AS STRAIGHT UP AS THEY COME.

Remember, McAfee themselves scan this file as completely safe, as it is -- it is GREEN too, so isn't the reason for the SITE rating regardless... AND it has been discontinued forever (no links to it). So, if that's the most they can find, I say this rating is totally in error.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/24/11 4:48:27 AM GMT-05:00
jcollake
Former Member
Message 13 of 113

Jump to solution

I removed that link now, so hope you got it??? If not, let me know and I'll send to YOU, but I do not want to re-host that utility, as it is a power-developer util that hasn't been supported for a long time. I don't want 'word getting out' that it is back or something, lol. A lot of developers have pleaded for a new PEBundle, but with all the false positive issues, I'll leave it to VMWare ThinApp and MoleBox to fulfill this market.

jcollake
Former Member
Message 14 of 113

Jump to solution

I wonder if this post will survive the morning. Those who see it, make note of it. I hate to sound paranoid, but after this rating.. well, who the heck knows. No explanation still because there is none. Can I please have that domain changed properly to GREEN? As it was before this inexplicable event? I mean, I've thrown all I am 'out there for everyone to see' and nobody can even make up criticisms (else they would, trust me).

UPDATE: TO their credit, this thread still survives.. for now at least .

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/24/11 6:08:24 PM GMT-05:00
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 113

Jump to solution

Hey, slow down a bit. I'm on this part-time, and there are two other SiteAdvisor issues I'm trying to work on at the same time as yours. Plus I'm in a different time zone, about 6 or 7 hours ahead of you.

I got the VirusTotal link okay, but because I had those results first I left the zip file alone. I can retest it if you want, but in that case you'd better either send me the zip file by Private Message (look under Your Stuff) or use PM to arrange a time frame for making it available. For myself though, I think I have what I need from VirusTotal already.

Can you just confirm that this file, which may have rung alarm bells during the data-gathering stage of the testing process, is no longer available for download from your website? If that's the case it removes one potential factor in the adverse rating.

I still have to look into a lot of other areas which can affect the rating. One thing I can say at this stage is that you come out clean as far as email spam is concerned (but I bet you knew that already).

Please be patient. I'm on to it, but I said it sometimes takes a while to come up with results.

Edit - www.bitsum.com also shows that zip file on the download list, but that does not seem to have affected the site's Green rating. So one suspect download is not a crucial factor, although it would count towards the final result.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 24/01/11 13:57:04 GMT
jcollake
Former Member
Message 16 of 113

Jump to solution

NO!!! It was NOT in the scan count of ProcessLasso.com. Do you hear me?  It was discarded as junk years ago. However, I want to be clear on definitions, if you call that an illegal bundler, then WinZIP is also a bundler because it can make SFX files . That reasoning is absurd. I am just going to say it is not available, and has been discontinued for years. I will send it if you think you need it for some reason. It has NO application bundles, AGAIN, it was for bundling an EXE with its dependencies -- a developer utility.

Thanks for your time. The rating, which persists, was born out of ill-will at SA, I do believe... and the path we are going down is 'find any little excuse on my main server' (bitsum.com), which is rated GREEN. If that server goes RED too for no apparent reason, my family is homeless.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/24/11 3:27:34 PM GMT-05:00
jcollake
Former Member
Message 17 of 113

Jump to solution

So, please, let us not dig into the past for invalid excuses that make NO SENSE (VMWare ThinApp and MoleBox do the same thing now...), it is NOT an application bundle like a toolbar bundle.. I HATE those things and don't use them. Sure, there are thousands of sites that do, and have GREEN ratings, but I DO NOT USE BUNDLES.

Anyway, my question was: Why is ProcessLasso.com rated RED? Nobody has an answer. My previously expressed theory is the most plausible, think about the timeline and read -- http://bitsum.blogspot.com

If, by now, you have ANY REASON to think I'm not 'straight up', then let's hear it....

jcollake
Former Member
Message 18 of 113

Jump to solution

..and I understand you have misunderstood PEBundle, the long discontinued developer utility, with some sinister application bundler -- but it has no false alarms with McAfee, and is NOT an issue. Are you planning to now rate my main site RED because you think you found a 'bundler'? This SHOULD NOT count a BIT against me. In fact, you've scared me to death. You are looking for excuses to rate my GREEN site RED, not rate my RED site GREEN.

This file was NEVER a factor in ANY decision by SiteAdvisor, as their engineers properly knew it shouldn't be. Rate it RED, and VMWare ThinApp must also be rated RED, MoleBox RED, WinRAR RED, WinZIP RED.. get the picture?

What do the VirusTotal results say? They say McAfee (and almost ALL) say it is fine, with a few EXPECTED false positives due to its nature.

That file is NOT EVEN LISTED ON PROCESSLASSO.COM -- The domain with the inexplicable problem.

I'll continue with the FTC. Thanks for your time. Your argument is extremely weak, if you understand it. So, we have NO ANSWER as to why my domain was rated RED shortly after I said NO to McAfee Secure, despite ALL GREEN downloads, ALL GREEN links, and ALL GREEN reviews.

Your 'help' in helping them dig up any old misunderstood crap (which I'll rip apart in court) is thanked.

Thanks a bunch for threatening to make my GREEN site RED, when I asked why my RED site was GREEN. From now on you will feed my family, right? I act with the STRICTEST ethical guidelines. Is that in question? Is it? Tell me? Is it? NO! Go ahead, abuse your power if you want. I'll add your name personally to this list. If YOU don't understand what PEBundle USED TO BE (years ago) then that's your problem, not MINE.

I just got a message offering me certification.. Gee, I better buy this time, huh? Do they give you a cut? If not, they should.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/24/11 2:19:16 PM GMT-05:00
jcollake
Former Member
Message 19 of 113

Jump to solution

And I NEVER had a spam problem... BTW, FWIW.. You find one utility you misunderstand, and although it HAS NO BEARING ON THE RATING, you decide to go after my GREEN site instead of my improperly rated RED site?

Please cease with your witch hunt .. there is no reason for that site to be RED, other than me refusing to pay up.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/24/11 2:17:33 PM GMT-05:00
jcollake
Former Member
Message 20 of 113

Jump to solution

Added you as item #15 on the list:

"I ask for help on SiteAdvisor forums and they dig up an old, years discontinued utility that bundles files of a SINGLE APP together just like ZIP or RAR would, and exactly like VMWare ThinApp and MoleBox do. I do NOT have ANY software 'BUNDLES' in the sense of the word they use it. Still, despite this not being a factor in any rating, one of their power-abusing forum operators decided to count this 'against me', and is trying to make my GREEN site RED, as opposed to making my RED site GREEN"

So, thanks a bunch. SiteAdvisor WILL be forced to change its business practices by the FTC or other agencies. You watch and see.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/24/11 3:28:47 PM GMT-05:00
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community