cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcollake
Former Member
Message 1 of 113

Explain this - domain rated RED, despite ALL GREEN downloads, ALL GREEN reviews, ALL GREEN links

Jump to solution

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/processlasso.com

1. This happened shortly after I turned down unsolicited calls to buy Mcafee Certification, coincidence? They later called with their best offer ever.

2. How is this rating possible? They say it is due to files, but all the files are GREEN! I have NO adware and if I'm not legit NOBODY is.

3. A couple years ago I had a previous problem that took forever to resolve, but it was caused by a false positive -- in this case, there isn't even a false positive!!

The whole story is much longer. Now all my emails are blocked to SiteAdvisor and McAfee, I have no idea why.

Can anyone explain this? I am compiling a detailed list of timeline and events for submission to the FTC (unless you guys finally come around). For the much longer, full story, see: http://bitsum.blogspot.com .

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcollake
Former Member
Message 77 of 113

Re: Explain this - domain rated RED, despite ALL GREEN downloads, ALL GREEN reviews, ALL GREEN links

Jump to solution

Yes, confusingly, we switched threads. This was my mistake I suppose, for initially posting in the wrong thread.

The problem was fixed, for now.. but for how long? Will we be here next month? SiteAdvisor has demonstrated a reluctance to adopt obvious and repeated suggestions on ways to improve the quality and accuracy of their ratings or mitigate potential damage to inncocent victims.

Here is the old pic, for those who want it. This is how their rating system previously scored an ALL GREEN site as RED, somehow, mysteriously. Yes, I have the bottom of the page too, but this makes the point. Remember, they did this to me TWICE (unexplained rating), and ONE MORE years ago with a false positive (the false positive verified within days, the rating took months to fix). So, THREE times I've been 'hit' by the SiteAdvisor crap machine.

Their McAfee Secure salespeople are VERY high pressure sales, which you'll experience if you ever get an unsolicited call from them like I did prior to all this occurring. Had I purchased McAfee Secure certification I would wager that these problems would have either not occurred or, if they did occur, would have been fixed much more rapidly. Since I have to pay my taxes, I couldn't afford their certification. Excuse me ;o. I have no idea if there is any relation to the rating and me turning down certification, but the timing was oddly coincidental.

mcafee_siteadvisor_3.png

Message was edited by: jcollake on 2/28/11 5:00:59 PM GMT-05:00

View solution in original post

112 Replies
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 2 of 113

Re: Explain this - domain rated RED, despite ALL GREEN downloads, ALL GREEN reviews, ALL GREEN links

Jump to solution

Hi Jcollake,

This seems very weird, it says that they're is adware.. But the downloads are clean.

I think you should wait till someone with more experience (Hayton) will find this thread.

Good Luck.

(I just wanted to have an input. )

jcollake
Former Member
Message 3 of 113

Jump to solution

It is more than weird, it is surely intentional.. but why you and I may ask?!? There is no explanation.

I believe, and this is only my opinion, that an extortion ring at McAfee Secure developed prior to Intel's purchase of McAfee. You should have heard how aggressive they were on the phone 'You MUST buy today, don't you have any money, anywhere?' etc... I mean, the highest pressure sales since I last bought a used car ;o. Look, that is just my opinion, and people may think I'm crazy for saying it. Immediately after saying NO to them finally, an anonymous bot (pharmalert) came to my primary domain (bitsum.com) and made a specious accusation about there being malware or adware, without stating what or where. Then McAfee Secure called back (same person each time) with their lowest offer ever. I didn't have that much money even. Then ProcessLasso.com goes RED during some portion of this... I don't know. I just don't know. I do know I have to feed my family and a RED rating for a business as legitimate as mine is beyond hurtful. I DEPEND on my reputation, and right now sites are de-linking.. and users running away.

Note that other incidents occurred too, such as all my positive user ratings that I'd accumulated over the years disappearing, except for one apologetic 9/9 ranked reviewer rating from the false positive (GREEN) I reference that happened years ago. That GREEN 9/9 rating also exists on ProcessLasso.com. It is just too weird... I want to find some other explanation than intentional extortion attempt, but I can not. Please, give me another explanation ;o. Further, emails to SiteAdvisor.com or Mcafee.com from my primary domain are now blocked. This could be an attempt to prevent me from contacting the higher-ups, I do not know. I am just at a loss... mentally and financially.

Here I speak out for SOME explanation... I know I am innocent in EVERY way as I operate with the utmost integrity. So, please, provide some explanation and I'll tell you why it isn't right... BUT, so far, there is NO EXPLANATION AT ALL.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/23/11 3:35:12 PM GMT-05:00
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 113

Jump to solution

I can't see anything wrong from the SiteAdvisor report page, if there's anything there it's not immediately obvious. I'll investigate and report back later.

jcollake
Former Member
Message 5 of 113

Jump to solution

Thank you. You'll find that, unlike some other sites I've heard complain, there is NOTHING .. not even a false positive. I think this is an accidental left-over of the possible (everything points that way) extortion attempt, and I think that knowing how crazy it sounds. Once you dig into the facts, you see it isn't crazy at all though ;o.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/23/11 3:42:27 PM GMT-05:00
jcollake
Former Member
Message 6 of 113

Jump to solution

Oh, and you can even check my site with WayBackMachine (as I allow it, in contrast to SiteAdvisor)... check it forever back.. it me, Jeremy Collake, offering up my legitimate, ad-free, bundle-free software, often for free. My point being, go back even in the PAST and everything A-OK, as it is reflected on the SiteAdvisor page.. with the exception of the overall site rating, which is inexplicably RED. I really have to summarize the entire incident for submission to FTC and such, and I'd hoped McAfee would just clear up this incident and we could all go on with life (as I very much need to get back to coding and not be distracted with the possible demise of my entire business ;o).

And, last, but not least -- THANK YOU for caring. In this world, we all have our problems, and right now mine is the possible demise of my sole means of supporting my family by the hands of SiteAdvisor, for a reason I can't even get from them. Thank you for standing up for me. I will do the same for any of you, or anyone

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/23/11 4:55:51 PM GMT-05:00
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 113

Jump to solution

Please, don't thank me too much just yet ... I do this because I want to help, but it's something I kind of fell into by accident. So, I dig as much as I can to find out the reasons for SiteAdvisor's sometimes baffling ratings, and sometimes I get a result. But not always, and quite often I spend a lot of time going nowhere very slowly. The whole SiteAdvisor rating process is complex, and it can be difficult to work backwards trying to establish cause from effect.

Still, I'll do my honest best. If I can uncover anything, I'll let you know.

For now, I have just one question. What is pebsetup.zip, and is it available as a standalone file or is it bundled with a lot of other software in pebundle 3.12?

I've done some preliminary investigation, and worked through part of your website, and so far this one zip file is a possible candidate for losing points. If you would like to have it checked, and you're willing to trust me here, I'd like you to make a copy available so I can upload it to an independent file-scanning service and have the results posted here.

jcollake
Former Member
Message 8 of 113

Jump to solution

Thank you for digging into this and doing what you can. I know you can only do so much. It isn't all on you, don't worry -- I just appreciate an answer and attention .

That file is the LONG DISCONTINUED setup file for PEBundle. Since it is a PE (EXE) compressor and bundler (bundle the dependencies and other files, like ThinApp from VMWare), it is possible false positives exist on it -- though few false positives at VirusTotal afaik. The file is still there, under the name: http://www.processlasso.com/files/_pebsetup.zip (MD5 will match). I thought since I no longer supported the product, it was not right to continue distribution of it. Should I make it re-available at the original URL?

UPDATE: Of 43 scanners, there are a couple false positives.. but like I said it is 'that type' of utility to create false positives, being an EXE manipulation utility. McAfee rated it fine, as their scans did (and as IT is).

It is NOT the same kind of 'installer bundling' that SiteAdvisor other sites speak of, or that I speak of. That is combining two DIFFERENT products, when the user was just trying to download ONE. PEBundle was always a one-product utility. Anyway, it is gone now, rated GREEN too. It is a legit utility, don't let the 'bundle' confuse you. This was NOT EVER a factor in the rating.

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/24/11 4:43:58 AM GMT-05:00
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 113

Jump to solution

Many thanks for the link. I'll  get on to this as soon as I get back from the late-night shop - I'm nearly out of coffee, and this looks like a 5-cup job at least  🙂

jcollake
Former Member
Message 10 of 113

Jump to solution

I edited the above, as I feared the 'bundle' term was confusing. PEBundle only ever operated on a single product. It did not combine, say two installers. That was not its intent, ever. It is therefore not like this bundling of apps, where the user installs on app and gets two. Anyway, it was a technical utility to bundle dependencies of a SINGLE app, just like VMWare's ThinApp does, and also MoleBox. Regardless, that file was rated GREEN.. and is kind of reaching. I know, you are looking for any possible reason to explain this. So am I!

Thanks for pointing that potential point of confusion out .

Message was edited by: jcollake on 1/23/11 11:54:19 PM GMT-05:00
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community