Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jakfak
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Error messages when testing McAfee firewall

Hello Peter,

This is a different subject but I wanted to ask you because you are very knowledgeable.  I also did a search for this problem at McAfee Communities but couldn't find any threads.

Several years ago, I would test McAfee firewall at Hackwatch.org (which has McAfee's name prominently displayed) and it gave test results.  But for quite some time now I always get error messages:

Simple Probe:

"msxml3.dll error '800c0008'

The download of the specified resource has failed.

/probe/hitme.asp, line 57"

Port Scan:

"ASPtear error '800a0002'

The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response

/probe/probe.asp, line 307"

Advanced Port Scanner at PCFlank.com:

"Too many connections"

Or, does this mean my Firewall is rejecting these probes?  Thanks very much, Peter!

Message was edited by: Hayton. Forgot to change subject header. on 30/06/11 17:44:15 IST
11 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Error messages when testing McAfee firewall

This is indeed a different subject, so I've put it in a thread of its own in Personal Firewall.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 12

jakfak wrote:

Hello Peter,

This is a different subject but I wanted to ask you because you are very knowledgeable.  I also did a search for this problem at McAfee Communities but couldn't find any threads.

Several years ago, I would test McAfee firewall at Hackwatch.org (which has McAfee's name prominently displayed) and it gave test results.  But for quite some time now I always get error messages:

Simple Probe:

"msxml3.dll error '800c0008'

The download of the specified resource has failed.

/probe/hitme.asp, line 57"

Port Scan:

"ASPtear error '800a0002'

The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response

/probe/probe.asp, line 307"

Advanced Port Scanner at PCFlank.com:

"Too many connections"

Or, does this mean my Firewall is rejecting these probes?  Thanks very much, Peter!

Message was edited by: Hayton. Forgot to change subject header. on 30/06/11 17:44:15 IST

Hi,

Yes I'm getting the same thing not sure why though.

I would normally use ShieldsUp to test my firewall https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

To be honest I thought Hackerwatch had been discontinued but now I'm not too sure.

I can ask at our next conference call - 11 July if you wish.

jakfak
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Well whattaya know.  I just used IE 8 to Google "test firewall" because Site Advisor works in IE and PCflank.com came up with red hightlighting.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

That's odd, of course it's up to you if you want to ignore that.  Web of Trust says it's OK but then that only goes on peoples' actual reviews.

jakfak
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Yes, if you could please mention Hacker Watch not working at your 7/11 conference call.  Thanks much, Peter.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 12

I've posted the question to the call agenda.  It would have been this coming Monday but with it being a holiday weekend in both the US and Canada it's been postponed a week.  

I'll get back with what's said.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

The problem is being passed back to the developers in that section.  All I've been told is that Hackerwatch per se is being replaced with Trusted Source eventually but when I don't know.

The Hackerwatch that works within the SecurityCenter itself is there merely to check incoming and outgoing connections via the Firewall module.

Anyway they are looking into it and thanks for pointing it out.

jakfak
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Thanks very much for the update. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 12

You're welcome.  As I said you can always use ShieldsUp  https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

But remember if you have a hardware firewall as in a router, it will only be able to test as far as that.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community