Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickA
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 28

Error Verifying Site

I placed the verification file in my "www" directory and it didn't verify. Then, I also placed it in the true root directory but it still didn't verify. I have tried repeatedly over the course of this morning, always with the same result.

My web site is Scenic Photo Cards. On the advice of an SEO consultant, I had my ISP place a "301 redirect" on http://www.scenicphotocards.com that points all traffic to http://scenicphotocards.com. I think this may be the cause of the problem.

I would very much like to get my website verified by Site Advisor.

Any suggestions.

Rick
27 Replies
BastiaanR
Level 7
Message 2 of 28

RE: Error Verifying Site

I went to the siteadvisor website, and had it look up your website. It told me your website could not be found (in it's database) and when it asked me if I wanted to have it include your website for future analysis I said yes. So now the site is on a list of websites due to be checked out. When this will happen, I have no idea.

In the mean time, if you want, you can leave your own comments on the SiteAdvisor page regarding your website:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/scenicphotocards.com/summary/

I am having the same problem. I went to verify my site withmarie.com and the same error popped up. I put the blank file with the special file name in the folder that contains all my html files for my site and nada. What am I doing wrong?
RickA
Level 7
Message 4 of 28

FYI, I had the "301 redirect" removed temporarily and the site still didn't verify. So the "301 redirect" is not the cause of the problem.

Hey, Site Advisor guys, why haven't we heard from you?

Rick
schuerle
Level 7
Message 5 of 28

Error Verifying Site Too

I can't verify my sites either. For example, I was told to put this empty file

metromapper.org85e679249fab9a6410ab74e52c0d1f7a3c57a1fc.txt

in the root of my site

www.metromapper.org

which give a full path of

http://www.metromapper.org/metromapper.org85e679249fab9a6410ab74e52c0d1f7a3c57a1fc.txt

which as you can see exists and is public (but does seem like an odd filename), but I still get this message every time:

Error Verifying Site

Could not verify the Web site file

metromapper.org85e679249fab9a6410ab74e52c0d1f7a3c57a1fc.txt

for the Web site metromapper.org. Please be sure you have placed the verification file in the root Web directory of your site, using the exact file name listed above.

Thanks.
downliner
Level 7
Message 6 of 28

RE: Error Verifying Site Too

Same problem here with our site sad
BastiaanR
Level 7
Message 7 of 28

But not in the URL.

Is that correct?
BastiaanR
Level 7
Message 8 of 28

I just tried it on one of my own websites.

In two instances I uploaded an empty file, with the correct name, to the root of the domain. I doublechecked in a browser if the file could be downloaded from the site (yes) and then clicked "Verify" on the SiteAdvisor website. No go.

On my third try I actually created the file on the host itself, instead of uploading it. Again, the file could be downloaded in my browser from the root of my website. Clicking "Verify" on the SiteAdvisor website again gave an error.

I e-mailed [EMAIL="feedback@siteadvisor.com"]feedback@siteadvisor.com. Maybe they can shed some light on things.

Error Verifying MY Site Too!

OK, I've had the same problem that has been posted numerous times... Isn't anyone administering this forum from McAfee??

I also followed all the instructions to verify my ownership of www.call-carrie.com, I've tried creating the empty txt file with call-carrie.com entered as the domain name as well as call-carrie since I couldn't verify the first file, I assumed I had been mistaken including the .com

I am able to pull up the file fine (although it is very blank and boring) in my browser, so I don't understand why the verification process is unable to.

I would very much like to leave comments for my site and it's very frustrating... I had a live chat with technical support who instructed me to uninstall the SiteAdvisor and then download it again... Did that, complete waste of time! Thanks...
BastiaanR
Level 7
Message 10 of 28

RE: Error Verifying MY Site Too!

complaints@siteadvisor.com on Saturday the 24th, but have not had a reply yet.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community