cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thenewlad
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Download pop-up but no download

Hello, I've had mcafee webadvisor bundled with my laptop, and didnt really had a problem with it, but in the last 4 months something very weird started to happen. In a couple of different occasions there was a pop-up coming up saying "mcafee is scanning the downloads" but In that moment I was not downloading anything, and I was always on very safe sites like google or stuff like that. I also checked both the download folder and the download history but found no download I didnt personally do. I did various full scans using different AV's and on-demand scanners/virus removal tools and of course mcafee too. No threat has ever been found except the occasional PUP that wasnt really a PUP. I also did a check with autorun and processexplorer to see if there was any possible malicious process running but everything looks clean. This weird behaviour doesnt happen often, in fact it might have happened 4-5 times MAX since It started 4 months ago and always in a spawn of 20+ days from one to another, and all the times this happens  I do the whole ordeal again (check downloads, full scans with different AV's etc..) and everything always comes up clean. Another weird thing is that when I download a file and webadvisor scans it, after the scan it says that the file is clean, while when this weird behaviour occours, it just says that mcafee is scanning a download, and it doesnt say at the end if it was safe or malicious, the pop-up just goes away. At this point Im not sure what to think, can somebody help me understand what's happening, please? Is there a way to see some kind of history of what web advisor has scanned?

2 Replies
sivasubramanian
Message 2 of 3

Re: Download pop-up but no download

@Thenewlad 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. It happens only if any files were downloading. However it looks very strange. We request you to remove the browser cache, cookies and observe if it works. If you still see the same issue, we request you to remove and reinstall WebAdvisor. Kindly update us  the issue status.

Regards
Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
Thenewlad
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Download pop-up but no download

Hello and thank you for your answer. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, with the installer I downloaded from your links. But when I finish the installation I dont see the Mcafee web advisor extension in my browser (chrome) so I uninstalled it again, I already tried restarting my pc after the installation but I still couldnt find it. I have now uninstalled it again.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community