cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
80eight
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Don't Want Yahoo with SiteAdvisor

The other day, SiteAdvisor updated itself and included the Yahoo toolbar, which I didn't want. A window came up in the installation process, with the Yahoo toolbar as a downloadable option. I don't want the Yahoo toobar, so I refused it. It was relentless as it kept coming back up, insisting that I install it. I only want what I want; VirusScan Plus with Firewall and SiteAdvisor as is. I don't want to be forced to take features I don't want. Afterall, I'm the one who's paying for this service. I uninstalled and reinstalled the whole package and now am back where I was. I'm certain that the update package is waiting in the wings, ready to pounce on me again. How do I refuse Yahoo once and for all?
4 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

McAfee Site Advisor

Hi,

While installation of McAfee Site Advisor you will have the screen asking if you want to install yahoo toolbar / yahoo search bar you need to uncheck and then continue with the installation.
When you get a popup to install yahoo toolbar, you will have an option to select whatever you need (check box ).
Uncheck yahoo toolbar/ yahoo search bar and continue with the onscreen instructions.
If yahoo toolbar is installed
Click on start >> control panel >> add/remove programs and click on yahoo toolbar and click on remove.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

RE: McAfee Site Advisor

If you want Siteadvisor without the Yahoo toolbar, you'll have to first open IE then enable the Yahoo toolbar, then click the arrow to the right of Siteadvisor's icon, select Detach from Yahoo Toolbar.
Close and reopen Internet Explorer.
Then unlock toolbars by right-clicking an area at the top of the toolbars and selecting that option.
Move Siteadvisor icon to where you want it.
Now right-click again and deselect Yahoo toolbar. It will vanish and you'll be left with the Siteadvisor icon only.

I agree, it is extremely annoying and I will make this one of the many topics for our next conference call.

You should then be able to remove Yahoo toolbar using Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (Programs/Uninstall a Program in Vista).
80eight
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Many thanks for the information, Peter and Bala. I did find the option to disallow it and have had no other problems with this version of Security Center.

80Eighty
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Glad it's OK now.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community