cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wunbun
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Do I need to reinstall McAfee Site Advisor after reinstalling Firefox?

I had Site Advisor installed for FireFox months ago.  Last week I uninstalled and installed Firefox to try to fix a problem.  I had thought that Site Advisor would be gone and needs to be reinstalled as well, but it still shows up on my Firefox browser and seems to be working fine.  Is this normal?  And should I uninstall Site Advisor and reinstall it anyway?

Thanks.

6 Replies
epsilon
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Do I need to reinstall McAfee Site Advisor after reinstalling Firefox?

Hi, wunbrun,

I've used SiteAdvisor and Firefox for a few years now and don't think I've ever had to re-install SiteAdvisor when Firefox updated.  It shouldn't be a problem.

If the new Firefox were incompatible with SiteAdvisor then Firefox should check and disable it, and I'd expect McAfee to update pretty quickly.  Firefox should then find the update and enable it again.  But as long as it continues to work then all should be well.

Regards,

e

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Firefox is updating to version 5.0 and Siteadvisor will be disabled for a while until an updated version of it becomes available.   Firefox will install the update automatically as soon as it is available from McAfee.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

See the announcement at the top of this section, it may be a month as they are re-designing the whole thing.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/06/11 10:48:40 EDT AM
epsilon
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Consider the announcement duly noted !

Do you know if the plan is to make it appear the same but with different internals or are they planning new/different functionality?

e.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 7

I really don't know but from what I've heard it will look the same but may have additional options to block certain web sites.   Of course the 'Live' or paid version that comes with some of the packages will have more features than the free one.

For anyone else reading this there is no change to SA in other browsers yet and the add-on for those still works as it should.

The developers are trying to make the Firefox add-on less susceptible to crashes the minute Firefox upgrades, updates which happen frequently lately.  That's why it was disabled by FF5.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Apparently Norton Safe Web toolbar is also having to be redesigned....good one Mozilla, you took everyone by surprise!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community