cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rulp
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Do I have a computer virus?

Do I have a computer virus? Why would I get the message (shown in the first photo) when McAfee WebAdvisor is already on (shown in the second and third photo)?

Possible Virus Message 2.jpgPossible Virus Message 3.jpgPossible Virus Message 5.jpg

3 Replies
rulp
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: Do I have a computer virus?

Message 6.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

Moved this to WebAdvisor.

No you don't have a virus, WebAdvisor was merely asking, as it will every time a new version installs, or if your browser undergoes a major update, if you would like to restrict your searches using Secure Search.  Doing so makes Yahoo Search the default search engine in all your browsers as Yahoo is the only one to sign on to that feature, thus far.

You can always undo it in WebAdvisor's settings.  Just click to the right of the cogwheel icon near the top right of any page in Internet Explorer and select WebAdvisor  - settings and undo it there for all browsers.  (The setting in IE controls the setting in all browsers and while there you can alter the other settings).

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

rulp,

As Ex_Brit has said, you don't have a virus.

As you've said, WebAdvisor is already installed and enabled - this pop-up (sometimes called a "toast") is asking how you want WebAdvisor configured.  Specifically, it's asking you if you want to enable SecureSearch (which it will do every few months).

A couple of minor corrections on what Peter has said;

1. Configuring SecureSearch as the default search engine:  Several months ago, we changed WebAdvisor so you could configure a different search engine in each browser - Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome - because many people wanted that flexibility.  Consequently, the pop-up setting is also configurable per browser.
  2. Configuring another Search Engine, other than SecureSearch:  We do not track what you had previously set as your default Search Engine, so you will need to select another Search Engine inside the settings for each browser:  These are where I can change the settings on my system which runs the latest browser versions (as of today, these are IE 11.0.9600.18125, Firefox 43.0.2, Chrome 47.0.2526.106 m)
  • In Chrome, go to Settings > Search > Manage search engines....
  • In Firefox, go to Options > Search > Default Search Engine
  • In Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Manage Add-ons > Search Providers

Hope this helps

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community