Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 22

Re: Disable the pop-up?

Jump to solution

In IE11 call up WebAdvisor options by clicking IE's tools symbol at upper far right - the cog wheel.

Click WebAdvisor

In Settings make sure it's set to check search results in all browsers.

See below pic.

I'm wondering it there's another add-on or lack thereof at play here.  Are you up to date with Java and Flash? A screenshot might help if you can grab one.

(Click PrtScrn and then call up Paint, paste it into that and then upload the image to your next post using the camera symbol in the new post box toolbar.)

The reason I'm asking is that I don't get that result in any of my browsers, unless I specifically download something.

Capture.JPG

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 22

Jump to solution

I also use Internet Explorer 11 as my Default Browser. Having said that..I basically only receive a prompt when I attempt to download something. Just as one does in regards to your Windows Updates, make certain that all of your Add-ons are up to date and current as well.

McAfee WebAdvisor as I mentioned earlier, indeed scans pages you visit in the background. You can check this by Clicking on the 'White Cogwheel' upper right portion of the page, and then clicking on McAfee WebAdvisor/About.

It will then present all that has been done on your behalf.

Ooops..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 22

Jump to solution

Well no Oops necessary as my posting was delayed because this stupid board had logged me out for the 9 zillionth time this morning......sigh.

It just occurred to me that the user has probably elected for choice 1 in the above pic - Secure Search.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 22

Jump to solution

K, you do indeed have a point there.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
kipper47
Former Member
Message 15 of 22

Jump to solution

Hi. Thanks for the time you're spending on this, and for the very clear instructions you're giving.

This is a bit curious: I loaded the IE11 WebAdviser options dialogue to make a screenshot for you, and for privacy reasons cleared the list of trusted sites. Having done so, I could no longer reproduce the issue. I tried a page with media on, pages I know to have changed since I last accessed them, and pages I've never accessed before. I then added this community site and en.wikipedia.org back into the list of trusted sites, and then tried again. Still no pop-up. I haven't done anything else that might affect any of my system's configuration, so I can only guess that something in that trusted websites list must have been giving rise to the problem.

By the way, I have choice 2 set -- "... in any search engine" -- not choice 1. I haven't changed this.

<s>As I can't reproduce the problem at the moment and I don't want to waste your time, shall we assume that it's solved for now? Also, since it seems to be an issue on my system, if you want to close or delete or whatever you do to the Product Idea I raised about this this morning, I'd have no problem with that. Its the one at .</s>

Best,

kipper47
Former Member
Message 16 of 22

Jump to solution

WebAdviserSettings.jpgSorry, cancel that last. I've just had it again, on a brainbashers.com web site. Here's the screenshot of my settings:

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 22

Jump to solution

Isn't that weird, you'd think having something on a  trusted list would have the opposite effect.  Oh well, all's well that ends well....as the saying goes.

I deleted that Product Idea

Good luck and all the best 😉

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 22

Jump to solution

It has been requested from Senior Level Support. To ask you if you could possibly share the List of trusted websites you had before removing them. By doing so, support can individually load each site and hopefully replicate the issue you were experiencing.

Especially since you yourself was uncertain as to which Site caused this issue to occur. We seem to think that the problem lies with-in Internet Explorer and the way it handles/loads it's pages and Website content. Which can vary from Website to Website.

Any assistance you could quite possibly give, would go a long way in determining exactly what is causing the issue. For Privacy reasons you can follow me by clicking on my Icon/profile. And correspondence can be done in a 'Direct/Private Message'

Thank you in Advance

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 22

Jump to solution

We should add, that if you can't recall that info don't worry.  In my thinking I was going to suggest that it was probably simply a bad cookie and clearing the list cleared that too.

Peacekeeper
Message 20 of 22

Jump to solution

What also is required more than the trusted websites is as asked by the tech we are talking to

The whitelist isn’t really the issue here.  I’m more interested in which pages (URLs) he was seeing the problem on, and also what his homepage is.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community