Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ldp
Contributor II
Message 1 of 7

Disable WebAdvisor Secure Search Prompt

Jump to solution

I apologize if this appears twice; when I submitted it the first time, I was prompted to create an account and it appeared on this end that it wiped out what I submitted (there was an error message combined with the "check your inbox to reset your password" message.)

I have had LiveSafe since December.  In recent weeks, I get a WebAdvisor prompt each time I launch my browser (FFox) indicating I don't have Secure Search installed or set up (not sure which way it's worded).  I don't want it so I remove the default "X" to install it and click okay but it does not offer me the option to "not be reminded again" about it.  I launch my browser numerous times/day because I'm a student so this is getting really annoying.  I don't see anything in Settings to disable it.  Is there a way to make it stop without uninstalling LifeSafe?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ldp
Contributor II
Message 7 of 7

Re: Disable WebAdvisor Secure Search Prompt

Jump to solution

Thanks to those that tried to help.  I ended up allowing an update and it has now went back to "occasionally" popping up with that reminder.  "Occasionally" is tolerable although I still think McAfee should allow people the right to say "don't tell me this again."  If you keep bothering your customers with something they have repeatedly said they don't want, it's not going to strengthen the relationship with them, but instead will have the opposite effect.

Thanks again to everyone.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Sarath
Contributor II
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi ldp,

The easiest way to disable this prompt is by removing Web Advisor completely and trying to add it back if you want it. I have attached the link below, In which you can find the steps that you can follow to uninstall McAfee Web Advisor. You can add Web Advisor back anytime to your computer from www.siteadvisor.com

Link to find the steps for removal: https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/ 

Regards,

Sarath Chandran M

ldp
Contributor II
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you.  Won't I get the prompts again if I add it back after uninstalling it?

I don't want to remove Web Advisor long-term to solve this because it offers features I do want; I just don't want Secure Search enabled, in part because it forces the user to switch to Yahoo.  I also have experienced performance issues when browsing since I installed LiveSafe so I don't want to compound that problem by enabling Secure Search.  It doesn't make sense to me that I would have to lose the other benefits of Web Advisor which I paid for as part of LiveSafe because McAfee won't stop marketing Secure Search and won't give me a way to stop it.  It would be understandable if I got this as a free version but I'm a paying customer.  If there's no other way to get rid of this nuisance, how do I bring this to McAfee's attention?

Thanks again.

Sarath
Contributor II
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi ldp,

I'm very well able to understand your concerns. You can try this work around which might fix the problem that you're facing. I have attached the link in which you can find the steps to disable secure search separately. But however McAfee Web Advisor is actually a free product, even people who don't have a McAfee subscription can still use this product for free. It can be downloaded anytime from - WebAdvisor Download 

Link for the steps to disable Secure Search: How to disable secure search in McAfee WebAdvisor 

Regards,

Sarath Chandran M

ldp
Contributor II
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

I appreciate your efforts to help me, but the link you provided is not what my user experience is.  WebAdvisor has not changed my search engine; it only is begging me to change it every time I launch my browser.  Additionally, this article says that screenshot message appears "periodically," but it is not periodic, as I have noted.  Furthermore, this is a new user experience, it only started doing this in the past couple weeks, perhaps when an update took place. 

Therefore, this article won't help me because I do not need to restore my default search engine.  I would be okay with this prompt occurring "periodically" but not every time I launch my browser.

I do understand that this is free to anyone but my point is that paying customers should not have to see these messages.  To me, it's like the free vs the premium version of YouTube: no ads if you're a paying customer.  I understand McAfee does not distinguish between the two on this topic but it should OR it should go back to prompting only "periodically" as the article says.

I think I am stuck with it but would like to voice my concerns to McAfee directly if there's a way to do that...?

BTW, this is my screenshot, which is slightly different than the article but the intent is the same.

Thank you again!SecureSearchPrompt.JPG

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

hello,

have you done a reinstall of WebAdvisor in the meantime and is the issue resolved perhaps ?

if not perhaps a reinstall of LiveSafe is an option.......

when you have removed mcafee LiveSafe from Windows OS  use also the tool MCPR to cleanup remaining files before doing a reinstall.

when using Windows10 i remove first WA and than LiveSafe from Windows OS. do a reboot and than use the MCPR tool. do a reboot before doing the new install......

here is a link that describes it and where you can download the latest version of the MCPR tool;

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_...

does this help ?

ldp
Contributor II
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks to those that tried to help.  I ended up allowing an update and it has now went back to "occasionally" popping up with that reminder.  "Occasionally" is tolerable although I still think McAfee should allow people the right to say "don't tell me this again."  If you keep bothering your customers with something they have repeatedly said they don't want, it's not going to strengthen the relationship with them, but instead will have the opposite effect.

Thanks again to everyone.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community