cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcafeecry
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

*Desperate problem, website rated as malware for 5 months...

Greetings,

Let me first say I admire what you are doing, and I don't doubt SiteAdvisor helps make the internet being safer, and is a very great program.

That being said, it should be easier for people to submit their websites for re-evaluation. I have spent the last three weeks trying to fix my website rated as "unsafe download" without any sucess. I have contacted McAfee support livechat, contacted SiteAdvisor livechat, contacted both parties several times by e-mail and even contacted Yahoo. I have commented on blogs, asked on forums, submitted my download numerous times without ever getting a response or making any meaningful progress.

I really hope you people can help me as this rating (red) is a big inconvenience to me, makes me lose sales (obviously) and generally stress me out. My next step is to go to New York and speak with McAfee people face to face in their offices. I'm dead serious.

My website is http://www.ChaosProgramming.com. It sells games tools and programs. It is by no means a trojan or virus website. The website is getting 3,000-5,000 downloads a month.

GoldenGaia-11.1 was rated as malware by SiteAdvisor. Let me first say we are now at version 12.5 and that even version 12.2 was rated as safe (we release frequent, free updates to our members) by SiteAdvisor itself (it IS safe). Version 11.1 has since long been discontinued and no longer appears ANYWHERE on the website.

Version 11.1 was rated malware because of a trojan. Research showed me that trojan was part of an optional add-on included with the downloaded designed to improve compatibility with Windows Vista operating system (we have fully redesigned our program since then, since version 12.0, and no longer use that add-on at all). Version 12.2 was rated as green as I said and it's sad an old version is dragging my website to the "malware" status.

I have done everything in my power to have a review of my website and never got a single response. I simply do not know what to do anymore.

Please, I do think SiteAdvisor is a great tool and indeed makes the internet safer, but I would appreciate very very much some assistance on that situation. If you require anything -- like, anything at all, information, details, explanations -- feel free to contact me by e-mail right now or reponse to this thread.

If you have anything to suggest, please say so. As always, I invite you to fully review the website yourself. It's a simple programming website.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/chaosprogramming.com <-- My review

Any help would be appreciated very very much!
Thank you,
Frank
18 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 19

RE: *Desperate problem, website rated as malware for 5 months...

If you have exhausted the other methods of contacting them, including using the feedback form here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/userfeedback.html
You can call Customer Service and ask them to connect you to SiteAdvisor.

Link at top of page 2nd from left or call 1-866-897-9325 press 4 then 0 between 9am and 9pm ERST.
mcafeecry
Former Member
Message 3 of 19

Thank you Ex-Brit. I am waiting until the end of the week. It will be the 4th week since my first demand for re-evaluating my website. Then I'm driving to New York.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 19

Their deadlines for re-evaluation have now been set to 6 weeks apparently.

However, before making what will probably be a fruitless journey, I would phone Customer Service. They have been instructed to accept calls from webmasters regarding site re-evaluation and Siteadvisor.
mcafeecry
Former Member
Message 5 of 19

Day 4

**I will be using this thread as an update log **

Day 4

This is now Day 4 since I made my first post on McAfee Community forum. So far I have heard many new things to try and even got -- for the first time-- a response from McAfee

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us and your interest in SiteAdvisor.

SiteAdvisor engineers will look into your issue, and will issue a change if it is deemed appropriate.

Thank you for your patience during this process.

Sincerely,

Andrew
Customer Support
McAfee SiteAdvisor

Yahoo also gave me a response:

Hello Frank,

Thanks for writing to the Yahoo! Search and Directory Support.

We are sorry to hear you have not heard from McAfee regarding your
rating dispute. We recommend trying to contact them again in the event
that your first email was not received. To email them directly, please
write to:

support@siteadvisor.com

or you can visit:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/feedback.html

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but Yahoo! SearchScan is powered by
McAfee, and only McAfee has the ability to remove any warnings that show
within Yahoo! Search results for your domain. Please know that once you
contact McAfee, they will conduct an analysis of your domain for a
period of several weeks and make a determination based on their results.
Yahoo! does not have the ability to change a McAfee decision once it has
been made.

We sincerely appreciate your patience through this process. If you have
any further questions, please let us know.

Thank you again for writing to the Yahoo! Search and Directory Support.

Regards,

Sky

Search & Directory Support
Yahoo! Inc

For answers to other questions you may have regarding Yahoo! Search,
please see:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/

For answers to other questions you may have regarding the Yahoo!
Directory, please see:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/dir/

And yet my domain is still listed as malware. Why? What did I do? Who did I insulted or harmed? I'm just selling some programs!

It has now been 4 days and I didn't get any update. I have went into a technical support chat and the person strongly incited me to call. I live in Canada, it might be costly, especially if I'm put on hold. But less than the sales I lose.

Each day, people pass on my website because McAfee marks it as malware. But at least they did reply.

It is now day 4th. I will keep you all updates with the updates.

EDIT: The file they deemed to be "trojan" (situation explained numerous times above was last scanned :

SiteAdvisor last verified this link: 2008 July

It will be seven months soon. Seven months and they didn't scan the file once (it was removed MONTHS ago). What hopes do I have to restore my reputation in the next seven months?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 19

RE: Day 4

Have you phoned as I suggested?
mcafeecry
Former Member
Message 7 of 19

Day 5

As expected my website is still logged as malware wrongfully. This most likely means another week-end of poor sales, bad comments by people and losses. Thank you, McAfee.

It will now be 4 weeks since I first asked for review. Their last "scan" of my website is 7 months ago. What a joke.

Will keep this log updated. This is Day 5 since I posted on forums. I have not phoned yet because it is too expensive from Canada and I feel I would just hear the same thing as ever, we are reviewing it, bla bla bla...
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 19

It's toll-free from Canada, that's why I posted it. 800 numbers have always been toll-free and I know they work because I've used them. That's why I was wondering why you were posting all this seemingly unnecessary stuff because it really isn't serving any purpose.
mcafeecry
Former Member
Message 9 of 19

Day 6

It has been 6 days now. Some people questionned my motives. I hope my memoir can help future people with similar problems. Thanks to Google, people searching online for a problem similar to mine will find this thread and see how long and how much effort it took me to arrive there. This is my motivation

Still red by the way.

Some nice members have recommended calling and mentionned the 1-800 number is free. That is absolutely true. I will be calling for sure on Monday.

Aside from that, still low sales, troubles, accusations, angry e-mails, etc. It never ends. Thank you McAfee.

Oh, and going into week 4.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 19

All you are doing is filling up the boards database unnesessarily. I suppose it's making you feel better. However I would point out that this board is for technical support, not a place to vent ones frustrations.
If you had filed a feedback form and then immediately followed up with a phone call to Customer Service at the very beginning this would most likely all be over long since.

I thought you were driving to New York? Although a letter to McAfee's head office would probably be more effective.

It is clearly laid out in SiteAdvisor's FAQ's that the process for re-reviewing websites can take some time as they are dealing with literally milllions.

Unless you wish to ask a specific question I respectfully request that you stop these "memoirs".

Addendum: SiteAdvisor Resources For Webmasters
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community