Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwlh
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Critical comment re WebAdvisor

Jump to solution

Having just received the latest issue of Computeractive magazine (issue 500), I am very concerned by the comment on page 53 referring to Privacy tools where they state (and I quote):

"Don't use: McAfee WebAdvisor

Supposedly blocks web snoopers and

reoprts on the safety of websites, but

instead spreads PUPs and dramatically

slows down your browser."

I have been a fan of McAfee since the Dr Solomon days and am currently using it, happily, across all my devices (PC, laptop, tablet and phone).

Their article does not elaborate on which "Potentially Unwanted Programs" WebAdvisor "spreads" and I know they are probably trying to cover themselves with the "Supposedly" but they seem to be anti-McAfee anyway - probably because they heavily promote a rival priduct.

Does anyone know what they are referring to?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Re: Critical comment re WebAdvisor

Jump to solution

McAfee WebAdvisor is a free software tool that protects the security, privacy and identity of end users online. By protecting against the most common online threats and guiding users away from unsafe online practices, WebAdvisor provides an added layer of security against malware, phishing, social engineering and other online attack vectors without impacting the browsing experience.

McAfee WebAdvisor does not install any programs on the user’s PC, rather, it guides people away from websites that may install malware. McAfee performs rigorous performance testing of McAfee WebAdvisor to ensure it meets our internal browser performance benchmarks and does not negatively affect user experience.

We have reached out to the publishers of Computer Active magazine to help clarify what we believe is a misunderstanding of our product, its purpose, and functionality.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

"spreads PUP's" ????     What?

That is impossible.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Er, What does this tell ya?

https://getcomputeractive.co.uk/

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Successfully moved from Consumer to McAfee WebAdvisor (formerly SiteAdvisor) > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

catdaddy wrote:

Er, What does this tell ya?

https://getcomputeractive.co.uk/

Nothing, except it's a magazine.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

McAfee WebAdvisor is a free software tool that protects the security, privacy and identity of end users online. By protecting against the most common online threats and guiding users away from unsafe online practices, WebAdvisor provides an added layer of security against malware, phishing, social engineering and other online attack vectors without impacting the browsing experience.

McAfee WebAdvisor does not install any programs on the user’s PC, rather, it guides people away from websites that may install malware. McAfee performs rigorous performance testing of McAfee WebAdvisor to ensure it meets our internal browser performance benchmarks and does not negatively affect user experience.

We have reached out to the publishers of Computer Active magazine to help clarify what we believe is a misunderstanding of our product, its purpose, and functionality.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Actually I meant that this was actually Spam. I had reported it as such. But not handled it seems.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community