Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helloguys62
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Could mcafee could've caused this??

Jump to solution

I turned on my PC, launched google chrome from the start screen, and it had windows 8 mode turned on, also my search engine was swicthed to yahoo, I did not do this myself, I never go into the settings place. Then I tried opening Google from the desktop and it just brought me back to the windows 8 mode. Then some time passed with my browsing. And eventually I closed google, then maybe 20 minutes later I opened it again and everything was back to normal, it changed itself back to desktop mode, yahoo was still set as my defult browser but I was able to change it back. Any ideas what happened, why it was running in windows 8 mode then changed back?

I know site advisor can change the default browser to yahoo, I want to know what could've caused google to launched in windows 8 mode and then back to desktop mode on it's own(If it's related to mcafee)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
helloguys62
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

Re: Could mcafee could've caused this??

Jump to solution

I'm starting to think maybe it was just a bug with chrome

View solution in original post

13 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Jump to solution

I moved this to SiteAdvisor.

I believe Chrome itself sometimes after an update can force it to open as a Metro App rather than on your desktop.

That's easily fixed according to thid:  Disable Chrome's Windows 8 mode - CNET   There could be other fixes online.

As far as SiteAdvisor possibly changing the default search engine to Yahoo, do you recall seeing any popup asking if you wanted to use Secure Search?

Click to the right of the icon on any browser web page and click its Options from the drop-down menu and deselect Secure Search if it is mentioned there.

You'll need to restart the browser for it to change.  Once done you should be able to reset the default search engine.

There is a remote possibility that you may have been updated to a new & different version of SiteAdvisor.  Can you check the version number from "About" or if you have McAfee SecurityCenter installed, open it and click About at the bottom right.  Scroll down to check the SiteAdvisor version and post that information here please.

helloguys62
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Jump to solution

Yes, It says that it was last updated on 2/28/2015, yesterday. The same day this happened...

Also about the chrome fix, SOMEHOW it swicthed back BY ITSELF, without me doing anything. That's what i'm trying to find out. How it turned windows 8 mode on, then by itself went back to desktop mode.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

Jump to solution

Weird.  Post back your SiteAdvisor version if possible.  I'm off duty now but hopefully someone will pick it up.  Or I will tomorrow.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 14

Jump to solution

Weird.  Post back your SiteAdvisor version if possible.  I'm off duty now but hopefully someone will pick it up.  Or I will tomorrow.

helloguys62
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

Jump to solution

Version 3.7 build 3.7.2.194

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 14

Jump to solution

That's what I have so it isn't the new one.

helloguys62
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

Jump to solution

Well it said it was updated to this 2/28/2015 I don't remember having any notifications about it.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 14

Jump to solution

As Site Advisor 'silently' updates in the background, separately from your other McAfee Features. Quite often is the case that you are not aware of the fact until you have restarted. Which then completes the installation, and is visible with-in your McAfee Security User Interface.By clicking on 'About'.

As for the inner workings of Chrome and such, I am less familiar with due to my using Internet Explorer 11 as my Default Browser. Quite possibly one of my Colleagues could give you a better insight in regards to the "Changing of the settings" as they use Chrome.

In addition I am running Windows 7 Sp1, where you are running Windows 8/8.1.

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
helloguys62
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

Jump to solution

I'm starting to think maybe it was just a bug with chrome

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community