Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Donnacha
Contributor II
Message 1 of 11

Chrome PDF Viewer blocking PDF viewing

Jump to solution

Hi there,

Since the latest update of the McAfee WebAdvisor extension for Chrome on Nov 14th, 2019, PDF files that we try to download and open inside the browser get blocked. There is no message of this blocking and only a grey screen is displayed.

We can still right click on the grey screen and click 'Save as', then when the file is saved locally, it will be open and is viewable, but the pdf should be displayed from the browser when before the local download, this is a bad experience for our users.

Could you please fix it, or tell me how I can solve this problem?

Thanks,
Donnacha

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 11

Re: Chrome PDF Viewer blocking PDF viewing

Jump to solution

Hi @jackdean 

Please clear the cache, if possible reset the Chrome browser and check the PDF file issue  

View solution in original post

Donnacha
Contributor II
Message 11 of 11

Jump to solution

Solution seems to be clearing the cache and reinstalling the extension, pdfs now displaying 🙂

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi @Donnacha 

Thank you for reporting this to us, upon learning of this issue, McAfee began working with the reporting researchers on a solution. Will update you once the fix is released. 

jackdean
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

We are experiencing the exact same issue. Able to isolate to McAfee WebAdvisor by turning off the Chrome extension, then requesting the PDF again and the PDF loads in the browser as normal. 

This only appears to be happening on Chrome as we've tested a little bit in Firefox, Edge, and IE. 

I've double-checked that our domain is in good standing and "minimal risk" from McAfee also the rest of our web application (same URL endpoint as PDF request) is working without any issue. 

Ijonh
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

I had the same issue and contacted McAfee the end of last week.  I spent several hours on the phone with their support and I am still waiting for a permanent fix for this.  In the meantime, if the McAfee extension in Chrome is turned off the problem will disappear.

Ijonh
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Doing a little more research on my own, this may also only be happening with Google Sites.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi @Donnacha 

please check "Chrome PDF Viewer blocking PDF viewing" issue. It is resolving in fix version 8.0.0.34559

Donnacha
Contributor II
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I think there was an issue where if you opened a local pdf it would not be viewable, which is not an issue any more.

This is now an issue when trying to display a web-based pdf using the chrome pdf viewer, I'm on the version you mentioned and still no luck

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi @Donnacha 

Please reinstall WebAdvisor & check the PDF issue

jackdean
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

We are also on the same version (8.0.0.34559) of the WebAdvisor and experiencing the issue. 

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi @jackdean 

Please clear the cache, if possible reset the Chrome browser and check the PDF file issue  

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community