Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Valethar
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Cannot post site reviews

Greetings,

When attempting to post site reviews, I get the following error message:

Valethar, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
  2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

The account I'm using is nearly a year old, so you'd think it was already 'activated' and certainly not disabled, since I can log in, etc... No clue why leaving a review would flag as trying to access Admin functions.

Something definitely is broken somewhere.

The service is fairly useless if it can't be used, especially when someone is trying to submit a review warning of sites spreading malware.

4 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cannot post site reviews

Ah, so I am not alone in encountering this problem. It drove me wild for a couple of weeks, and I eventually raised it with someone at McAfee. While I was awaiting a reply I did a little investigating, and I think I may have found the answer to this and several related problems with signing on as a site reviewer.

First, if you're using Internet Explorer 8, check your security and privacy settings. I can't swear that these are to blame, but I suspect they might be.

Make sure that Javascript is enabled. Then add *.siteadvisor.com to the Trusted Sites list in Tools/Internet Options/Security. And lastly, in Tools/Internet Options/Privacy, click on Sites and type the domain name siteadvisor.com into the box, and click Allow. I think the login process for reviewers requires cookies to be allowed on your PC. All I know is, before I did all of those things I was not able to post a site review, and afterwards I could.

Let me know if this works for you too. Or try it from Firefox, and see if the default settings allow you access from there.

Valethar
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Added *.siteadvisor.com to specifically allow cookies, as well as community.mcafee.com. Still cannot post a review.

I can log in fine. I can read and post here fine. Just not allowed to post reviews.

This is using Firefox.  I don't use MSIE, with the exception of my corporate website, since the lemmings there refuse to allow any other browser to work with the site.

Mcafee has made absolutely no attempt to address this, as shown by the lack of any response to the question until yours. Apparently being a paying customer for their other services counts for nothing, which I will bear in mind when the time comes to renew the licences.

At this point, I consider the whole SiteAdvisor system to be bogus. There's no possible way to trust the ratings, etc.. when Mcafee totally ignores anyone with problems using it.

on 9/28/10 3:18:13 PM CDT
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Not long after I posted a reply to your original message (and while I was still feeling smug at having sorted out all those problems I was having) it happened to me again. The page you mention is, I think, http://user.siteadvisor.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile - the top-level Reviewer Central login page. The reasons for this are unclear. Twice, I found that on going back to the comment page the comment text had disappeared and nothing had been posted; once, bafflingly, the text had gone, but had been posted. It's definitely a glitch in the system somewhere. I have emailed McAfee Support about it (I was rather annoyed at the time). One oddity is that several times, now and earlier, entering my reviewer name/password into that login page took me to another page (I don't have the URL) stating that there had been an error, and I should contact an Administrator (clickable underlined word). But clicking "Administrator" either did nothing at all or moved on to yet another error page ....

I think there may be some sort of timeout involved. Twice, moving back and forwards using the browser buttons after this annoying failure, I have briefly seen a message flash up saying (I think) "expired". Too fast to catch.

It's all in the hands of McAfee now. They do follow these things up, so cross your fingers and wait.

In the meantime, I find that cursing softly under the breath and counting to 10 is a useful thing to do.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

By way of a postscript ...

My problems are intermittent - I don't know about yours. There is always the possibility that the underlying problem is on McAfee's servers. Perhaps, if there is a heavy load on the servers, any connection that appears to be dormant will be terminated. Just a thought.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community