Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 21 of 33

Re: Can't Remove McAfee Secure Search Engine Permanently from Firefox

Jump to solution

That's just it.  I delete every search engine EXCEPT for google.  When I close and reopen FF, Secure Search reappears as a search engine choice.

Untitled.png

Then I will click on Secure Search, choose remove and it is gone.  Then I see this

2.png

But if I close FF and then reopen it later, the Secure Search reappears as in the first window.  It comes back on it's own.

Every time.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 33

Jump to solution

I think you're going to have to accept that as a condition of using the free webadviser software, you're going to have the option to choose to use Secure Search.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 23 of 33

Jump to solution

Also, as in this pic, I am just curious why my secure search option shows the icon as a page and not the Mcafee Red Shield.

4.png

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 24 of 33

Jump to solution

It's not so much that I have the choice to use it or not, the issue I have is that I don't have the choice to remove it.  That it keeps reappearing on it's own.  That is what seems strange to me that started all this.  That I removed all the search engines, but secure search comes back on its own.  Do you use FF, and if you do does yours do that as well?

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 33

Jump to solution

No I don't use FF - I use Chrome mainly because I'm a big google apps/drive user as well and the integration between them all across IOS, Mac and Windows works well for me.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 33

Jump to solution

I see what you mean now.  Although Yahoo may have been deleted as a choice, Secure Search remains in options.  It will always be shown as a choice in Tools/Options/Search - just don't choose it.  Simple as that.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 33

Jump to solution

I apologise as I hadn't realised what was actually in that section of my settings.  Secure Search will always be there because it's part of the WebAdvisor extension so can't be removed without removing the entire extension.

Here are my options (click to enlarge):

Capture.JPG

Peacekeeper
Message 28 of 33

Jump to solution

Just figured that as well Mine the free version but I assume the retail included version works the same. McAfee will not allow it to be deleted permanently but it stays unselected as far as I see.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 33

Jump to solution

Yes, what I was referring to was removing Yahoo, Bing and any others listed, so they can't accidentally be activated.

I think we've answered the question, it can't be totally deleted as it's part of the software.  It CAN be turned off though.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 30 of 33

Jump to solution

I think this is the solution.  When you mean turned off, you mean not as the default search engine, correct?  I was just always used to having my searches not show the row of boxes with the other engines showing.  It shows like this now

4.png

But I wanted it like this, which is a new window I opened after removing it which it will only do for this session

7.png

But if it is impossible to change it without removing Webadvisor then I guess I will live with it.  I just don't like having something I choose to remove from my own computer decide it doesn't want to leave.  I know it's not but it seems too much like malware.  Eh.  It never did this with the previous version of Mcafee so I don't know why it does now.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community