Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 33

Re: Can't Remove McAfee Secure Search Engine Permanently from Firefox

Jump to solution

It looks like we have to go back to Safeboot's original suggestion, uninstall WebAdvisore in Control Panel > Programs and Features.

Reboot, reinstall.

If that doesn't work, uninstall all McAfee software that way, then run the MCPR cleanup tool linked HERE , reboot and then reinstall from your online account.

The first time you open any browser it will then ask you do you want Secure Search,, refuse it at that point.

I have a feeling the software must have updated and somehow the application or parts of it are locked in place

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 12 of 33

Jump to solution

I did uninstall all Mcafee and Run the cleanup tool.  I just checked Firefox search and Secure Search is no longer showing.  I will reinstall from my online account and refuse Secure Search.  I will update you with my progress.  Again, thank you for your help and the time you are taking to assist me.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 13 of 33

Jump to solution

I will also update you on this.  It happened the last time, didn't think of it to be honest.  I downloaded the installer, and it hang on preparing for about 20 mins.  I cancelled the installation and restarted it, and then it went as normal.  Looked for threats, downloaded software, etc.  It went fine the second time on both.  I ran the removal tool and I am going to try again, just to have antivirus on it now.  This is what happened the first time I installed it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 33

Jump to solution

No problem, good luck 😉

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 15 of 33

Jump to solution

It didn't work.  I even tried to download the installer through Edge instead of Firefox in case there was an issue.  It installed fine, no problem.  When I opened FF, I chose to have no secure search.  However, once Virus and Spyware Protection on Mcafee started Secure Search reappeared.  I tried removing it and starting the browser again but no deal.  It came right back.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 33

Jump to solution

Sounds like you have a spotty internet connection issue...maybe?

The Secure Search box should auto-appear at lower right corner whenever the software is first installed or updated....but it should have a box that you uncheck and then click Done and it should not turn that feature on.

If that box is not appearing or if it is and the option isn't then something's amiss with Windows and probably IE as all interfaces rely on IE for display purposes.

Make sure IE is up to date and at default settings even if it isn't your default browser.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 17 of 33

Jump to solution

I used Edge to download the installer, but then shut the browser off before installing.  After installation, I opened up FF and the secure search box did appear on the bottom right.  I did uncheck the box, and then clicked done.  Once I had done that, however, and shut down and reopened FF the secure search reappeared in the search options.

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 33

Jump to solution

In FF I have secure search as an option but you do not have to use it

I unticked the box as well but you can go to change search settings and deselect all bar say google and you have only it available.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 33

Jump to solution

I wonder if the reason I never see this problem is because I always delete all search engines except Google in every browser I've ever used?  Have you tried doing that (Firefox - Tools/Options/Search) ?

Peacekeeper
Message 20 of 33

Jump to solution

Like minds 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community