Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 1 of 33

Can't Remove McAfee Secure Search Engine Permanently from Firefox

Jump to solution

I am currently running the most up to date version of Firefox, and Mcafee Total Protection.  Firefox offers many search engines, one of which is the Secure Search provided through McAfee.  I do have Webadvisor installed through my Firefox.  I only use Google, and I remove all the other engines.  However, anytime I remove Secure Search the next time I close and open Firefox it reappears every time.  I have been on Mozilla's communities and it looks like McSiteAdvisor.xml is the plugin for Secure Search that causes the problem. If you have the Site Advisor/Web Advisor extension installed in Firefox, that could explain how to search engine keeps getting re-added.  I am not sure what to do to get rid of it.  I simply do not want to see the results, and I do not understand how it keeps showing up.  I had to uninstall and re-install McAfee and the secure search box showed up in the bottom right to activate it.  I said I did not want to, but it showed anyhow.  I am enclosing two screenshots.  One shows how it looks in Firefox's seach options page and the other shows the box if I am searching a result from a web page.box if I am searching a result from a web page.

Untitled.pngUntitled.png2.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 31 of 33

Re: Can't Remove McAfee Secure Search Engine Permanently from Firefox

Jump to solution

Right, but what I've done is click that "Change search settings" and deleted all those ones I'd never, ever use.

I didn't even try to delete Secure Search because it isn't really a search engine, it's a setting in WebAdvisor.

But I did delete Yahoo search, which Secure Search would use if activated.

Anyway, I'm logging off as it's been more than 15 hours since I started and my eyes are getting tired.

Good luck.

If you feel we've answered this please go ahead and mark the thread answered.

View solution in original post

32 Replies
SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 33

Jump to solution

If you want to remove the choice to use secure search, you'll have to remove Webadvisor completely.

You don't have to use secure search, but by installing Webadvisor you chose to have the option present.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 33

Jump to solution

You can also simply turn it off but the settings are controlled for all browsers in Internet Explorer so open that, click the cogwheel icon at upper right corner, open WebAdvisor settings there.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 4 of 33

Jump to solution

I like having the Webadvisor software, more or less I was surprised that it just appeared as an option.  Also, I have to admit I am not a fan of having a choice to remove something on my computer taken away from me like that.  I kind of expect if I chose to remove something it would not just automatically re-install itself.  I have bought Total Protection every year and this is new to the 2016 version.  I assume it has to do with the switch from Siteadvisor to Webadvisor.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 33

Jump to solution

Yes it takes a bit of getting used to.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 6 of 33

Jump to solution

Actually, I did that.  I went into Internet Explorer and removed the Secure Search option.  I then closed and reopened it.  It disappeared permanently from IE's search options but it did reappear in Firefox.  I was hoping that would work.  I am curious why it stays away in IE and keeps reappearing in FF.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 33

Jump to solution

Well with a new Firefox every 5 minutes anything is possible I suppose, try opening WA settings in Firefox and disabling it there.

Also back in IE did you select the middle selection to cover search in all browsers?

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 8 of 33

Jump to solution

What do you mean by opening WA settings in Firefox?  Do you mean by clicking on the down arrow next to the M shield on the toolbar?  If that is what you mean then there is nothing that says anything about removing search.  I have added a screenshot to show you if I am in the correct screen for settings.

1.png

As far as IE, I'm not sure where to look for the option to cover all browsers.  When I click on the gear, here is a pic of the settings that it shows.  When you refer to the middle one, which selection do you mean?

31.png

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this, I appreciate your assistance.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 33

Jump to solution

By middle one I meant the one you have checked in that first pic:

Capture.JPG

OK you have it set as it should be to disable Secure Search - but you may need to switch your search engines in Firefox perhaps?

Secure Search switches it to Yahoo, you may need to switch it back again in Tools/Options/Search.

In IE are you sure you are clicking the cogwheel and not the smiley next to it?

Capture.JPG

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 10 of 33

Jump to solution

In my first post, the picture is of the Firefox Search Option Screen.  I have removed all the engines so the only ones that show are Google and Secure Search.  Google is set as the default, but Secure Search is also shown as the other option that I can't remove.

Yes, that is the cog wheel and not the smiley face.  I am adding a picture of when I click the smiley face now:

32.png

I hope this helps.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community