cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macrophage
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Can I eliminate the protection banner on web pages?

I keep getting a banner that says "We tested this page and blocked content that comes from potentially dangerous or suspicious sites. Allow this content only if you’re sure it comes from safe sites.".  It covers part of the page, and obscures useful content.  If I click on the "View all blocked content" button, I don't know what I am going to get.  How is that useful?

I can close the banner, and leave the content blocked, but I have no idea what I am blocking.  Trusting a site isn't a good idea, even if that is possible (?), because the capitalists that run them might change their minds about what's okay, or whether to invest in securing their sites.

So how do I just eliminate this useless banner, and let McAfee block whatever it wants?

Many thanks

7 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I eleminate the protection banner on web pages?

Moved to McAfee Web Advisor > Discussions

Actually the prompt you are seeing is your McAfee Web Advisor blocking content on that particular page, as it deemed some of the content to be suspicious. I see it from time to time, and only takes up a small portion at the top of the Page.

I hope this helped you better understand the reason for the Prompt/Banner being displayed.

All the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Capture.JPG

Is this the Prompt/Banner you are seeing?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
macrophage
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Thanks, catdaddy.  The prompt is pretty self-explanatory.  I wonder how to remove it.  When I view CBSnews.com, for example, it covers useful content.  In fact, I have to click the (very faint) "X" in order to make it go away so as to get to the news program I want.

It does me no good, as I pointed out.  In fact, it sometimes hides that which I need to see.  It conveys no actionable information.  So I want to eliminate it.  Can it be done?

macrophage
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Yes, its the same, but on my pages it is just one (badly needed) line.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Re: Can I eliminate the protection banner on web pages?

Actually to be quite honest, I have never personally had anyone bring this to my attention. As it is your McAfee Web Advisor functioning as it should. Short of Uninstalling WA,I would recommend closing it as you have been doing. Keep in mind however, removing the software leaves you without the other 'Protective Features'

Note: I even personally went into the WA interface and changed the settings to 'Don't tell me about search results',  however when I visited a particular page, it threw up the McAfee Prompt/Banner.

I might add also, I visited cbsnews and can see your point.....

Hope this helps....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Korgman
Contributor III
Message 7 of 8

I recently started seeing this on a couple of pages that I have viewed for ages. Clicking the X makes it go away for that view, but comes back next time. Not sure if WA or the site changed. Clicking view all blocked content will make it go away in the future. I guess it depends on how much you trust the site and how annoying it is to you. I wonder how much of it is ad content which I don't click on anyway.

I checked out the CBS site and only got the banner with IE but not FF. Maybe because of addons?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I strongly advise against enabling the display of blocked content. Especially on a media website, what is being blocked is most likely to be malvertising - poisoned third-party advertising. This is often accomplished by the use of hidden iframes that redirect your browser to hijacked webpages, and those are what WebAdvisor detects and blocks.

As for preventing that information box from being displayed, I don't think that's possible. We've looked into this before and the reasoning seems to be that the display is necessary because of the potential severity of the underlying risk. And the reason why you have the option of allowing what's been blocked is that sometimes WebAdvisor continues to block content even after whatever was dangerous has been removed. If you do your own investigation and conclude that some advertising banner is crucial to your enjoyment of the webpage experience, then you can allow it to display ... for myself I've not found one instance where what was blocked was an integral part of the main page, it's always been material inserted by third parties - which is why I now annoy my media sites by deploying an array of ad blockers. If you still get this warning on CBS News, try viewing the site with AdBlocker (or a similar extension) enabled in the browser. This might block the problem before WebAdvisor gets involved.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community