Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woodhamvillage
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Browsing Problem

Jump to solution

I'm having problems browsing the internet. It does not matter whether I use Chrome, IE or Edge the same problem occurs which is that only about 80% of the hyperlinks from a Google search work. Its most peculiar and is happening on more than one device (PC/Laptop) all running Windows 10 and McAfee Security Centre. My tablets are not experiencing the same issue so I don't think its anything to do with my internet connection/Wi-Fi/router etc.

For example I may search for something in Google and only a few of the resulting links work (the others will result in a 404 page not found error). However its not just a problem with Google, today I tried to buy something through Ebay and when I pressed the payment button I just got a 404 page not found message. To common theme I think is that the link you press actually gets redirected e.g. through googleadservices.

I expect if I rebooted my PC Ebay would work but something else would not. I have rebooted the router and hub just in case but that has made no difference. I've checked the devices for malware (nothing). The problem with trying to fix this is that it is not consistent. A link that works in one browser session can fail to work half and hour later.

I think McAfee may be the culprit but what's the best at to test this without turning it off completely and leaving myself exposed. Its driving me nuts and has been going on for about a month.

Thanks in anticipation.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
woodhamvillage
Former Member
Message 11 of 11

Re: Browsing Problem

Jump to solution

I eventually resolved the issue and I thought I ought to post my solution here so that others could see.

Swapping out the old router/hub and replacing it with new equipment fixed the problem!

Many thanks to everyone who made suggestions but it seems that it was an intermittent hardware fault that caused the browsing problems.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Have you tried Firefox. 

You could disable the webadvisor extension though disabling any part of it or McAfee could as you say open yourself to issues. Are you seeing a green tick on the google links? Go to the arrow next to the green webadvisor icon top right  and choose options and select Tell me if a site is safe in any search engine. That should show the green tick in a google search. In IE the ticks are not there.

Ah rereading i see you say you get googleleadservices popping up ie does this say the connection timed out when trying to connect to that?

maybe running Malwarebytes (free) and adwarecleaner will help you here as well as some of the other tools.

I think it is a tracking cookie that needs removal. See if another helper here is more familiar with it

woodhamvillage
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

I haven't tried Firefox. I'm getting the Green Ticks from McAfee site Advisor.

I've tried deleting all of the cookies that I don't recognise but that does not seem to have made a difference.

When I click on a link it takes ages and then I get "This page cannot be displayed message"  Followed by "Make sure the web address is correct" etc..

I'm not sure what else to try?

Thanks for your interest.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

I wonder if you may need to (Flush/Clear) your DNS Cache? 3 Ways to Flush DNS - wikiHow Please read....Also it would not hurt to run those two programs Colleague Peacekeeper recommended.

All the Best,

Cliff/CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
woodhamvillage
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

I've just flushed the DNS as you suggested.

I ran Malwarebytes and Adwarecleaner a couple of weeks ago which did not seem to pick up any issues.

At the moment links appear to be working, but I've been here before and you think that its fixed only for the problem to return. I'll keep you posted.

The thing is that this started to happen on three separate PC's/Laptops at about the same time - I think it must have been caused by a Windows or McAfee update.

Many Thanks

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

woodhamvillage,

Based on your description (All browsers, multiple sites, very slow before it fails), I strongly suspect this problem is caused by a poor network connection. 

I'd suggest trying these, as a test:

If you are using wireless, can you move your system closer to the Wi-Fi connection ? 

If that doesn't work, can you try plugging in your system into the hub with an Ethernet cable?

If it still doesn't work, does this work from another network - a neighbour's network, library or coffee shop (carefully), etc.

If you still have problems connecting to various sites and you still think the problem is related to WebAdvisor, you're certainly welcome to test that by taking WebAdvisor out of the picture - by disabling the WebAdvisor extension in your browser, or even uninstalling it.

Let us know the results please

woodhamvillage
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

I also originally thought that the network connection might have been something to do with the problem, but I've run network tests and the speed appears to be fine (download speed approx. 38mb/s and my contract is limited to 40mb/s). My desktop PC is connected by Ethernet cable, laptops by Wi-Fi all experiencing the same issue. However, it does appear to be better since I flushed the DNS (fingers crossed).

Thanks for your interest.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

​,

Hopefully all will continue to function properly. Please keep us apprised of such,and if needed feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

Sincerely,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
cavehomme1
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

There are a few things you may try if you still get problems, based on my own experiences, I am not a mcAfee expert but I have had various connectivity issues with Windows 10, it is a real pain:

- Under McAfee firewall settings, did you enable the Intrustion Detection option? If so, consider to disable that, re-boot and see if it resolves the problems.

- Various Windows 10 updates seem to have affected various users' ability to connect to the internet. Do a manual check to ensure your Windows is fully updated in case fixes have been issued for your PCs.

- If you have not done so already, Right click on the Network / WiFi icon in the bottom right of your screen and select "Troubleshoot Problems", that may find something or reset your connection / adapter.

- If these fail, then you may need to manually update the network adapter drivers on your PC / laptop. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/ad5a063e-5f57-c715-2566-b983195752c1/update-drive...

Good luck.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

woodhamvillage,

please monitor for a few days and let us know the status of the issue.

cavehomme1,

Some very good suggestions - thank you for your input.  🙂

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community