cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tank_ace1
Contributor II
Message 1 of 4

Best way to uninstall Webadvisor/Siteadfisor for the purpose of reinstalling.

I know there are fragments of this on the forum.  

But I want to get the complete answer. So here we go again Webadvisor/Siteadvisor not working on Firefox(No green check marks) after update.

I have McAfee Security Scan Plus and WebAdvisor by McAfee (first do you need both of them to have the check mark and bad page block????)

So want to try uninstalling and reinstalling.  So what is the best way???

1.  I usually got to window control panel, program, programs and features to uninstall OR use the the uninstall app in the McAfee program folders.  (is there a preference or all the same)

2.  Then I manually find and delete all the files and folder related to Security Scan Plus and Webadvisor and do a search on all the related files and delete them (is this a good idea) (is there a better way). 

3.  Do I need to empty trash (or delete the deleted items from trash) or are the items in recycle bin not going to do anything. 

4.  What is the mcafee site link to download webadvisor (don't want to go to the wrong site).

anything else???

thanks just want to make sure not missing any steps.

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: Best way to uninstall Webadvisor/Siteadfisor for the purpose of reinstalling.

Use this method to completely remove all Mcafee bits

Reboot after windows part and mcpr part

How to remove McAfee

after this run preinstall tool and then reinstall macfee

Preinstall Tool

3 no  I never worry but clearing trash never hurts

4. WebAdvisor  alone www.siteadvisor.com

mrshvd3
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Re: Best way to uninstall Webadvisor/Siteadfisor for the purpose of reinstalling.

Hi, Tank_Ace1:

Why the WebAdvisor sometimes stops working, I don't know.  But here is what I do (in fact, what I just did yet again), and it works:

I do not uninstall McAfee or WebAdvisor from the control panel.  I click on the Menu lines in my Firefox  (upper right corner), go into Add-Ons, then Extensions.  I remove WebAdvisor (click the grey box with the dots in it, click "Remove", acknowledge).

Then I go to https://www.siteadvisor.com/ff/install (I have it bookmarked to save time) and let WebAdvisor install itself.  Agree to the download and acknowledge.

Then I click on the new WebAdvisor icon at the top of my screen, click on the "Settings" cog.  Scroll down to Secure Search and click on the middle choice ("Tell me if a search result is safe in any search engine.").  I also click on "Reset" down bottom of the page.

This has been working for me every time, including just a few minutes ago.  Others may have other ways that work for them -- this works for me.  I hope it works for you, too, if you give it a try.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

Easier way than mine . My way fixes any issues with the main program as well.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community