Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomN
Former Member
Message 1 of 30

Annoying secure search popup

Jump to solution

How can I get rid of this annoying SiteAdvisor popup that says "Try Secure Search and click with more confidence"?

I use McAfee SiteAdvisor extension with Firefox, but don't need this secure search feature. I just want to stop this popup ad from continually showing when in Firefox.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomN
Former Member
Message 3 of 30

Re: Annoying secure search popup

Jump to solution

What I ended up doing is unchecking the two little boxes at the bottom of the popup screen which allows you to activate secure search and clicked on "finish".

So far I haven't seen it the popup again and secure search is not activated, so apparently it has worked.

Message was edited by: TomN on 6/8/10 5:46:41 PM GMT-06:00

View solution in original post

29 Replies
sockhb
Contributor
Message 2 of 30

Jump to solution

I am also having this problem, and what's more, it disables my Firefox browser when it comes up so I have to use the Task Manager to reboot he Firefox browser. Please, please help with this!!

TomN
Former Member
Message 3 of 30

Jump to solution

What I ended up doing is unchecking the two little boxes at the bottom of the popup screen which allows you to activate secure search and clicked on "finish".

So far I haven't seen it the popup again and secure search is not activated, so apparently it has worked.

Message was edited by: TomN on 6/8/10 5:46:41 PM GMT-06:00
sockhb
Contributor
Message 4 of 30

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response! Yes, I tried that but nothing like a finish button appears for me, and no other buttons either. I scanned the entire popup with my mouse and get no place to click any further, so there is something missing. I have done this about eleventy million times, btw, so it's not like it's just an occasional thing - grr!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 30

Jump to solution

It's possible that the pop-up uses Java and/or Flash which you should check are up to date.  Other than that I can't think what would render the Finish button invisible - I would contact Technical Support Chat if I were you.  Linked under Useful Links above, or the McAfee Support link.

As TomN said, the pop-up shouldn't reappear after the choices are unchecked and the Finish button clicked.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/06/10 9:02:48 EDT PM
fixit
Former Member
Message 6 of 30

Jump to solution

I am getting the same pop up.  It freezes the page.  It doesn't seem to be finishing or giving me a button to cancel or do anything.  I end up ctrl, alt, del.  What to do?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 30

Jump to solution

See my previous post.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 30

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Sorry for the inconcvenience;

Please find that the SiteAdvisor popup alert screen does not appear to have a Finish button; The Finish button may be hidden at the bottom of your screen because of your browser font size or Windows display settings. You must click on the Finish button to prevent the popup alert from displaying each time the web browser is opened. Please find the document here that will help you to complete the site advisor pop up.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

sockhb
Contributor
Message 9 of 30

Jump to solution

Wish that helped, tried it all plus reactivated my Secure Search to no avail. Where else could I go to activate the darned thing so it doesn't keep asking me. I still have this coming up and freezing my Firefox, but i usually have access for a while so I could do whatever it needs during that time

GloRob
Former Member
Message 10 of 30

Jump to solution

Hi,

Having the same annoying problem. Wasn't sure if it may be a virus...I've included a screen shot and is curious if everyone elses popup is the same..This is stubborn but I do not wanna do anything unless I know that its legitimate!

I have IE7 with Windows Vista...IS this thing legit?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community