cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moorrbr1
Contributor
Message 11 of 20

RE: Norton too...

The only ones I've tried so far are SiteAdvisor and WOT. Mostly, I use Yahoo as my search engine and they use SiteAdvisor to add some protection. Plus, I have Spyware Doctor and Windows Live OneCare. Was satisfied for the most part with SiteAdvisor until their recent update. They don't seem to be in much of a hurry to fix it.
CBMatt
Former Member
Message 12 of 20

Not sure if you're referring to Computer Hope or not, but we actually just realized our change to green a little while ago. There's not much discussion going on yet (it's pretty late), but I'm pleased with the change and I'm sure our other members will be as well. Our administrator is currently out of town, but when he returns, this will certainly be some good news for him to come back to. On behalf of CH, I thank you for your help in this matter.

Now, if only McAfee could get this toolbar issue fixed, we'd all be set! Heh.

Oh, and just a note to everyone reading this thread...I would suggest avoiding LinkScanner like the plague.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 20

Chris, I had already posted on Computerhope's thread regarding that site going green, thank goodness.

No, I was tongue in cheek stating that SiteAdvisor at least gave Norton's website a green status.
phantazm
Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Linkscanner..?

CBMatt: "Oh, and just a note to everyone reading this thread...I would suggest avoiding LinkScanner like the plague."

Why..? Do you mean Linkscanner from XPL?

I've been using SA and WOT and linkscanner on IE for several month now, never had a problem...
paullotion
Former Member
Message 15 of 20

RE: Linkscanner..?

From personal experience Linkscanner can break your LSP chain, it did this with me when i uninstalled Linkscanner, mind you this was over a year ago, things may have improved.
CBMatt
Former Member
Message 16 of 20

Ha ha, silly me. Well, regardless, it's still appreciated. Heh.

phantazm,
Yes, I am referring to XPL's LinkScanner (now in use by Grisoft/AVG). In my experience, the program has been nothing but a burden. It's a resource hog for many people and it often greatly increases the loading times of web pages. And like paullotion noted, some people have had trouble with it breaking their LSP chains. It's not nearly as bad as the AVG version, but I still wouldn't recommend it. But hey, if it works for you and you're happy with its performance, then I guess you don't have anything to worry about.
phantazm
Contributor
Message 17 of 20

LSP..?

I installed Linkscanner only a few months ago, and never had any problems. So I haven't needed to uninstall.

I know that AVG had major problems initially, because all that linkchecking was hogging resources.
It also distorted some statistics. I hope they've fixed all that by now...

But there's also a light version, that only checks a single link, and only when you ask it.
I hope AVG will let that offer remain free...

Here I have to confess my ignorence: What is a 'LSP chain'..?
paullotion
Former Member
Message 18 of 20

RE: LSP..?

phantazm
Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Thanks for the answer, and the wiki-link!

SP3 just arrived yesterday, but wouldn't that mean that problems with LSP chains have been fixed by now. Or what..?
paullotion
Former Member
Message 20 of 20

The problem lies with third-party applications breaking the LSP chain, always a good idea to have a small utility such as Winsockfix handy, this will repair the LSP chain.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community