cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaysee
Former Member
Message 1 of 20

Alternatives to SiteAdvisor...

From reading dozens of previous posts I can see others have already pretty much said what I had planned to say about the latest update stealing browser toolbar space for itself; the issue frustrated me to the point of uninstalling SA.

Unfortunately, I had come to rely on SA security benefits and, assuming McAfee can't/won't fix the problem, need to find a functional replacement.

What other (preferably $0) IE add-ons are available that I should be looking at?

Thanks,
J
19 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 20

RE: Alternatives to SiteAdvisor...

As these forums are hosted by McAfee to provide assistance with their products you'd be better off asking that question on a website owned independently such as http://forums.techguy.org/ for instance.

However, here are a few:

Netcraft Toolbar
Linkscanner Pro
Finjan SecureBrowsing

Not all free, or even Vista ready. If you need other choices, use Google as I did.

Here's also an addon that I just found listed under Firefox Tools/Add-ons/Get add-ons it's called WOT and seems to work similarly to SA in Firefox (only).
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3456
jaysee
Former Member
Message 3 of 20

Thank you for the links; I'll check them out!

Sorry if I sounded impatient in my initial post -- I'm guessing I was just reacting to an automatic download that messed up my browser...

Thanks again,
J
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 20

I'll probably get shot at dawn for saying this, but I quite understand.
WILKO
Former Member
Message 5 of 20

WOT ok for IE

For anyone that's interested, WOT is available to download for Internet Explorer as well as Firefox.

http://www.mywot.com/en/download/ie
moorrbr1
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

I feel the same way. Signed up for the WOT for Firefox. Don't use IE much anyway. SiteAdvisor was a great tool. But, McAfee's customer service is not very good. I just had to download an IM tool and spent an hour opting out of something that I never opted into.
SiteAdvisor stopped working altogether on Internet Explorer and set itself up on a whole line of space in Firefox. Not to mention that now when I click on the SiteAdvisor link it opens a new window instead of a new tab, so that I can find myself with several windows open if I'm trying to check something out. :mad:
phantazm
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Norton too...

Now Norton is also entering the advisor game: http://safeweb.norton.com/
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 20

RE: Norton too...

Well at least SA gave that site a green flag. I'll have to do my "fly on the wall" act and see what their forums are saying about it.
moorrbr1
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Amending my earlier note on WOT. It does work on IE as well. Though to be honest, if I'm doing much browsing I still trust McAfee better. Let's hope they get their problems straightened out.
paullotion
Former Member
Message 10 of 20

Tried all these myself(including Siteadviser), i find TrendProtect to be the easiest to use.

Their updated version does not support Firefox at this time, this will change shortly.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community