Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wunbun
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

A warning is raised when download from download.cnet.com

Jump to solution

I was trying to download SuperAntiSpyware Free from download.cnet.com, and during the download, I got a warning (red) saying that potential harmful material is detected, and was given the option to ignore the warning (and continue to download), or block.

As I understand, all software from download.cnet.com are safe, is this a false alarm?

I am using Firefox 3.6.6, McAfee SiteAdvisor 3.1.0.175 (just checked for updates and there's none), Vista SP2.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Re: A warning is raised when download from download.cnet.com

Jump to solution

Hey wunbun, I believe that there is something wrong with site advisor & it has affected a few people after a download.I could be wrong.But the other day before my hard drive crashed i was haveing all sorts off problems with site advisor.I tried to download from 3 differant sites and all came up red.

Have you tried an alternate site like file hippo?I did also notice that on some cnet sites that they are marked green.But if you take a closer look & read the site report there are 2 red downloads.I suspect that this site may be comprimised,Although still marked green.My case may be differant as i could not update a program from 3 differant places.File hippo seems to be a good site according to the advisor reports anyway.

good luck Jack

CNET does not seem to be safe as you can see here.Even though it`s markrd green.

If you are not able to download from any of the other sites. My guess is you have same problem i was trying to explain recently   

m.PNG                                             

Message was edited by: newjack on 7/12/10 9:53:43 AM EDT

View solution in original post

10 Replies
CopyRon
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

I am going to venture that any .exe file is potentially harmful.

Choose to save the file, and after you download the file, scan it's contents before installing.

Message was edited by: CopyRon on 7/11/10 7:07:34 AM EDT
wunbun
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks Ron, but I have downloaded the same program (also in exe form) from the same site before, in a different version, and did not get this warning.

And, I just went to a friend's computer who's running a different version of McAfee SiteAdvisor (3.2.0.149), and downloaded the same file from the same site, and the download completed without any warning.

Is this due to the different McAfee versions?

And, by selecting Block Download, is it true that the download has been completely blocked (ie/ no remnants of the program would be left on my machine)?

Thanks again.

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Hey wunbun, I believe that there is something wrong with site advisor & it has affected a few people after a download.I could be wrong.But the other day before my hard drive crashed i was haveing all sorts off problems with site advisor.I tried to download from 3 differant sites and all came up red.

Have you tried an alternate site like file hippo?I did also notice that on some cnet sites that they are marked green.But if you take a closer look & read the site report there are 2 red downloads.I suspect that this site may be comprimised,Although still marked green.My case may be differant as i could not update a program from 3 differant places.File hippo seems to be a good site according to the advisor reports anyway.

good luck Jack

CNET does not seem to be safe as you can see here.Even though it`s markrd green.

If you are not able to download from any of the other sites. My guess is you have same problem i was trying to explain recently   

m.PNG                                             

Message was edited by: newjack on 7/12/10 9:53:43 AM EDT
wunbun
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot newjack.  Actually after I downloaded the file from cnet (from the second computer where no warning was reported), I uploaded the file to check for virus at virustotal, and the result was clean.

When you had a similar problem (before your hard drive crashed), was it a problem from McAfee or from your machine?  I can just download from the vendor's site, I just wanted to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my machine.

Thanks.

newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Hey wunbun, To be honest i`m not really sure.I know a few months back there was a bad update released from Mcafee.I was haven problems with my security center after that.I mean,ongoing problems where i even considered ditching my subscription & taking the loss.But it would be premature to assume my computer was damaged from the update or something else related.

Although it certainley is`nt out of the question.My computer was still functioning at the time & i ran a diagnostic.I have since replaced it and reinstalled Mcafee.I was surprised that i finally recieved the 2010 version.Which i am still trying to get used to since i had the other interface on my last 2 computers.Glad that worked for you.Keep in mind if you use site advisor to always check the ratings.I see alot of the time a site marked green is not always safe to download.Such as PCWORLD.com which i was just at at noticed a ton of red downloads.

Glad that worked Jack

Lorac30
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi Jack...

Only a head's up to let you know what I found out about those 2 negative reviews at CNET.  The software attached to the two reviews were for "FrostWire".   As noted to the right (under "Analysis") it say's "AskToolbar".   <== Something I'm not fond of, but pleased SiteAdvisor noted it.  I have been downloading from CNET for years and never had a problem.  But I must admit, I was a little uneasy when I saw your screenshot.  So I went to CNET's download page for "FrostWire".   I was relieved to see it clearly states, "The app also comes bundled with the ASK toolbar, but you can opt out of  that during the installation process".   I was glad to see they made mention of it. 

I don't think 2 negative reviews speaks for the entire site.  As stated, I've never had a problem with any downloads.  With that said, I always scan the files before installing them.  I find it the only safe thing to do.  No matter how much I trust a site.  Be it CNET or elsewhere.

Just my ..... ¢¢

Carol

wunbun
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info newjack.  I am using the McAfee SiteAdvisor free version (standalone) so it looks like I have a different issue.  I think these days I am spending more time to update/fix my PC then use it

newjack
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

HI wunbun,Even if your version is differant i believe you can recieve the same info.If you click on the arrow to right of mc site advisor (options).You can check off show site ratings & add color highlighting to search results.I don`t use their search engine.But that`s a matter of preferance.When you do a search before you enter a site.You should be able to hover mouse over the green check mark.This will pop up the site ratings and report.You should be able to click the show reports on bottom left of S Advisor.I am pretty sure you have these options also.In response to Lorac30 i was not saying cnet was a bad site. As i have also used them many times.I was just trying to figure out wunbuns problem.Which was the same as mine a week ago.Whenever trying to download from CNET a red S.A pop up would appear.

Jack

Message was edited by: newjack on 7/13/10 11:25:07 AM EDT
wunbun
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi newjack.  You are right I can review the information on my SiteAdvisor free.  It's a good idea to check the site before entering.  Thanks for sharing your experience with me.  I was really puzzled and worried when I saw that red warning during the download!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community