Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Octopus
Contributor III
Message 1 of 11

A question about Site Advisor

Jump to solution

Hi. I have the site-advisor installed on my Firefox browser. However  it suddenly stopped working. The "M" box just stays grey and no longer  lights up green.

One thing I noticed is the site-advisor never works to  begin with every time I launch my Firefox browser, so I have to  manually do a McAfee update and then the siteadvisor starts to work.

Recently though, every time I do that now, as soon as the update is complete the Firefox browser crashes.

When I relaunch it, the site-advisor still doesn't work.

It seems instead of the update getting the site-advisor to work it crahes my browser.

Is there anyway to stop this from happening? Do I have to reinstall the Site-advisor?

Octo

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: A question about Site Advisor

Jump to solution

The latest SiteAdvisor release is faulty. There are several existing threads about this.

See for instance https://community.mcafee.com/thread/67411?tstart=0 about SiteAdvisor crashing FireFox (and also, very probably, some versions of Internet Explorer).

The problem with SiteAdvisor failing to activate is I think a separate issue : the client application on your PC is failing to set up a connection to the SiteAdvisor servers when the PC starts up, so it just goes into a wait state until something (such as an update) ends that state. That's my understanding of it anyway. Many users have reported this and I've seen it myself.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 01/06/14 19:19:23 IST

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

The latest SiteAdvisor release is faulty. There are several existing threads about this.

See for instance https://community.mcafee.com/thread/67411?tstart=0 about SiteAdvisor crashing FireFox (and also, very probably, some versions of Internet Explorer).

The problem with SiteAdvisor failing to activate is I think a separate issue : the client application on your PC is failing to set up a connection to the SiteAdvisor servers when the PC starts up, so it just goes into a wait state until something (such as an update) ends that state. That's my understanding of it anyway. Many users have reported this and I've seen it myself.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 01/06/14 19:19:23 IST
wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

I used to have exactly the same problem as Octopus, with Site Advisor only working after a manual update, so I'm glad it wasn't just me.

SA still isn't working for me on any browser since the last SA update, though I've noticed a pattern developing: I get the "Site Advisor stopped working" message popping up shortly after running a manual update, although it doesn't seem to be working properly to start with anyway.

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

After reading the link that Hayton posted it seems to be a siteadvisor issue with Firefox.

As Hayton stated in that thread.

Now the cause has been identified it's up to the SiteAdvisor developers  to track it down and fix it, which could take some time. Until then  there isn't any workaround : either you put up with Firefox crashing all  the time or you disable SiteAdvisor.

Lets hope it gets fixed soon. I don't feel comfortable surfing without a siteadvisor.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

You can install WOT (web of trust) as a backup if you want.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

Moved to SiteAdvisor.

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

I just noticed today that the Siteadvisor is working. The box on the top left of the screen is now green again. Its no longer grey and its no longer crashing my browser.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Glad to see that all seems to be okay now

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

Maybe SiteAdvisor silently updated. What version have you got now?

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

It says I have 3.7.00

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community