cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmichae3
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

7 downloads out of millions bad, all mirrors of sourceforge.net marked dangerous

Jump to solution

I think this is being quite extreme here.  ALL download mirrors of sourceforge.net are being marked as bad.

If you have a problem with a certain project, then you take that up with sourceforge.net support (and you get an account so you can talk to them) and sourceforge.net will deal with them.

no mention is made of what projects these bad downloads are found in.

mcafee is making a blanket statement to the whole world that all sourceforge.net downloads (and hence all open source software) is bad.

this is wrong.  and this is not the first time that this has happened.

maybe siteadvisor needs to change its policy towards mirrors.  not EVERYTHING on a mirror is bad. it's just a mirror - at least simply check the filename! if you are not going to do that, then check the signature of the file when you download it.  but don't mark the entire set of mirrors bad.

you will make everybody afraid of downloading ANY open source software.  so just catch the bad eggs, OK?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
x-pmeyer
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Re: 7 downloads out of millions bad, all mirrors of sourceforge.net marked dangerous

Jump to solution

Hello Jim,

thank you for that additional information. We are looking inton this issue.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies
x-pmeyer
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: 7 downloads out of millions bad, all mirrors of sourceforge.net marked dangerous

Jump to solution

Hello Jim,

can you please precise which download mirrors of sourceforge.net are being marked as bad?

We tried to research that on our end and did not find any "bad" mirrors, at least not from the ones listed on the sourceforge.net web sites.

Thanks, Peter

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

I have total protection which has site advisor.

try downloading something from http://sf.net/projects/cdrtfe or http://sf.net/projects/

I don't think you actually tried, or maybe you don't know how sourceforge works.  you go to http://sourceforge.net or http://sf.net and search for a software package like notepad++ by keyword and then you download it.  you can also participate in projects and report bugs.

first the file downloads. a few seconds later, mcafee kicks in and says with red X  dialog "warning" you are downloading fillintheblank from http://cdnetworks-us-2.dl.sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/...

except that now instead of giving me this dialog once, it gives this to me twice.  real proactive - waiting until after I have downloaded the file to flag it.

I have tried switching sourceforge,.net mirrors, and whatever I try gives an error.  I am in the USA, I pick west-coast mirrors if I can because they are closer.

cd-networks was the mirror I was currently uising.

Message was edited by: jmichae3 on 11/26/11 1:17:42 AM CST
x-pmeyer
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello Jim,

thank you for that additional information. We are looking inton this issue.

Best regards,

Peter

jmichae3
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

let's see if I can define a mirror for you.  mirrors are a file distribution service (people probably pay for this like hosting) in which files can be uploaded by the owner of a software project.

typically, you want mirrors all around the world, since you want speed - the more network delays you experience because of distance from point to point, the slower the download will be, becuase in order for tcp/ip to communiicate , for every chunk of data, it must send a data packet, and WAIT for an acknowledgement packet (in case the packet got dropped due to a broken router in the chain).

in a mirror, whole directory trees are mirrored across other mirrors around the world, in a limited selection that the project owner selects.  the directory trees are (usually) an exact duplicate of the other ones.

think of it as software project file hosting.

some of the projects are linux distributions and have bootable ISOs.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community