cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TerrySilver
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

windows error report

I keep getting my computer restarting every few mins. Now I had a error report come up and sent me to microsoft page link here http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Response.aspx/7721/en-gb/5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0?SGD=65fc287f-972....
I had to in end run in safe mode with out mcafee running. I have now remove it but I pay for program and so still wish to use.
I had a few virus it would seem on my computer that McAfee did not stop. I had to run a online virus scan that clean it up and also both Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Lavasoft Ad-Aware which help.
I have also tryed to run the automatic update but computer restarted before it could finish, even in safemode.
I have also done a clean install after I remove the program but still did not help.

Can someone help me sort this please

Not sure if this is in right place but its the McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009 that comes with firewall.
Tags (2)
4 Replies
TerrySilver
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

RE: windows error report

Its nice to see no one realy cares to help or cant help. Would be nice if I had some comment to point me to a way to help.

I tryed to add avg to m computer and it seem something keeps stoping any virus programs from running on my computer.

Panda Security seems to run ok
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 5

We are all unpaid volunteers here and help where we can but some days we are stretched a bit thin so sorry your post wasn't answered immediately. True Technical Support is available for free via Chat in the link at top left of this page or in my signature.

You don't state what operating system and service pack this is and whether or not you are totally up to date, but I trust you are.

You also don't mention what version of McAfee software you are using. If it';s regular home products that can be obtained by double-clicking the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter then clicking "About" at the bottom right of the frame.

If you feel that you are clean of whatever malware it was then it would appear that it may be corrupted.

Try the following after having temporarily enabled Windows Firewall for protection.

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
TerrySilver
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Sorry I took this to be McAfee way of surporting them who need it.

I have windows xp sp3 and upto date.

I have McAfee viruscan plus 2009 with, here link to which one I got http://home.mcafee.com/Store/Package.aspx?pkgid=276 I no longer have it on my computer so cant tell which versions but I did buy it at PC World (if that helps).

Yes I do wish to keep useing it but if a virus/trojan was abe to get on my computer pass McAfee protection as is the case then it did not do a good job of covering me. That I belive is reason why it seem to of shut down mcafee as same for avg.
I run avg a few days later to see if that helps but in end only virus program seem to run ok on my computer was Panda Security.

Hope that info helps you to work out whats going on.

PS thank you for replying and also thank you for forum letting me know by e-mail that I had a reply.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

MALWARE REMOVAL FORUM

SPYWAREHAMMER FORUM

SPYWARE INFO FORUM

WHAT THE TECH FORUM

Be sure to read all the sticky announcements/instructions at the top of each malware forum!
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community