Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poodles5
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

why will real time scanner not start?

Jump to solution

I have had no problems in months, now today my scheduled scan would not start. Tried everything I can to check it out, in services everything is automatic and started- ran all programs to chec k for problems that you have  suggested to other members- nothing found- I am current 623-data 6504-MVT found no problems-running windows xp sp3- no other virus program installed.any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: why will real time scanner not start?

Jump to solution

The scheduled scanner will delay its start if the CPU is being used above a certain point but it shouldn't delay more than about 20 minutes.  In your header you say real-time scanner wont start, that's a totally different thing, that means SecurityCenter would be giving a red warning.

Did you run the Virtual Technician?  It can often correct minor issues.  It has to be freshly downloaded whenever you run it so uninstall once run in the normal manner through Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

If that doesn't help then I suggest contacting Technical Support - it's now a free phone call as well as online chat.   See the link under Useful Links at the top of the page.

Laslty, if you are running any registry cleaners or optimizers, stop, as they can cause this.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

The scheduled scanner will delay its start if the CPU is being used above a certain point but it shouldn't delay more than about 20 minutes.  In your header you say real-time scanner wont start, that's a totally different thing, that means SecurityCenter would be giving a red warning.

Did you run the Virtual Technician?  It can often correct minor issues.  It has to be freshly downloaded whenever you run it so uninstall once run in the normal manner through Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

If that doesn't help then I suggest contacting Technical Support - it's now a free phone call as well as online chat.   See the link under Useful Links at the top of the page.

Laslty, if you are running any registry cleaners or optimizers, stop, as they can cause this.

poodles5
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Everything ok now-  misspoke- my problem was scheduled scanning not coming on-  checked it out found automatic turned off- ran all my programs as suggested  anyway to check for problems, found none. Last night came on as scheduled at 6pm- thanks for the answers and help-

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

That's good.  All the best.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community