cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dixie_girl52
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

virus scan causing freezing problems

I've been using Mcafee for a couple years and have never had any problems when using it until the past month.  Before I could do other things on my PC when it was scanning.  Now, all it does is freeze as soon as I try to open another application.  Several times now I have had to either shut the computer down in order to stop the freezes or actually unplug it.  On top of that, it is taking several hours to complete a scan when before it only took a couple.  Because of the freezing I decided to reinstall EVERYTHING on my computer and I even left out a few programs I hadn't used in a while.  There is over 80% free space on my computer. The first time I noticed it was after an update was installed involving a restart.  I either need help or another virus software like Norton.

Please help.  Very frustrating.  Especially considering the scans are happening at times I don't want it scanned.  And no, I haven't had any other virus software on the computer or scheduled scans elsewhere.  Never had this particular problem until I installed the 2011 version. 

6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 7

Re: virus scan causing freezing problems

Is this occurring during a scan? From above I want say so.

If so several thoughts

1 is it on the same file?

2. is the file large and /or compressed?

3. Is the DVD drive on the scan list and is there a dvd in the drive.

Have you tried setting exclusions for scheduled and custom scan? ie exclude zip files large game file etc

dixie_girl52
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

More often than not it does happen during a scan.  Other times it is during down loading updates.  No, it's not reading a DVD drive and its not just large or compressed files.  When I was able to open the McAfee app, it showed it was freezing between scanning files and during.  Before I could write this I had to shut the computer down just to stop the scan.

Again, VERY frustrating.  Never had this problem until recently.

Message was edited by: dixie_girl52 on 12/25/11 7:24:41 PM CST

Message was edited by: dixie_girl52 on 12/25/11 7:26:01 PM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 7

Have not seen this only time was scanning a DVD and large compressed files.

Disable netguard does that help It is a setting in the firewall if not reenable it and

I know tech support will ask this so

1 run MVT from the tech support link in useful lenks.

2. If that does not help uninstall Mcfee and reinstall from your account.

follow

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall from your account.

This at least will stop support rerequesting this if I pass you onto them.

mdas
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

flogger
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

There must be a conflict of softwares. You can check the event viewer and see if any logs will help you determine the root cause.

Message was edited by: flogger on 1/21/12 11:17:45 AM CST
freddy999
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

I'm losing faith in McAfee right now.  However, going to Norton would be like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

There are plenty of others out there such as AVG and Kaspersky that seem to rate highly among actual users (rather than reviewers and critics).

Hope you get it sorted.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community