cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meee223
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

very slow scanning

I've had McAfee for years and for the first time, I cannot run a full scan. It ran normally and then when it got to 31% (my documents) it slowed down to a virtual crawl. It ran for 5 1/2 hrs. before it got to 32% and was still scanning documents. This would take forever. Usually a full scan takes an hour or so. I had to stop the scan and it took quite awhile to stop it and log out. The system slowed down. By the way, the 31% didn't detect anything wrong. I don't know what's going on. I wonder if it would run ok if I do just a custom scan and leave out scanning documents? My internet runs normally other than this scanning problem. Any ideas?

2 Replies
tyomni
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: very slow scanning

You need to finde out which file is slowing it down so much, maybe archive or something, or just remove docs to other destination for example in local disk d and see how that affects.

Gr11zzly
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: very slow scanning

No solution for you---I had the same problem last week.  Used the CHAT facility and was told I had an infection which turned out to be untrue.  It was jusdt a way for the operator to terminate the session I think.

Unintalled and reinstalled.  Still have the same issue today and CHAT not responding.

RAM useage is 100% and the machine will not respond the CTRL ALT DEL---I can hear it going to disk every 15 seconds and nothing works effectively.

I have reached the end of my tether with this product and not about to spend my time diagnosing it for them.

I would do as I am about to do.

Remove Mc Afee and replace it with the free Microsoft essentials product.  Has no noticeable impact on performance and in my case( I tried it last week before I thought I'd give McAfee one last try) it found issues that were mised by McAfee.

Now I have a job since I run 9 licenses for this product that I will have to spend time undoing.  I really didn't need this at this time of year.

Best of luck with your choice  try

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/technology/software-and-online-services/security/security... and you'll see that McAfee is very much an 'also ran' product---I only persisted with it since I had so many licenses and it was what I would term 'adequate'

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community