cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeff109
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

updates not working?

i renewed virus scan plus 2009 in dec. 2008. practically every time i used the pc, the 2008 vs plus would update. since renewing, i don't recall the update icon with the red arrow spinning around in the box, coming on in the taskbar. for a long time, i just thought there were no updates, which didn't seem right. finally about a month ago, i did a live chat with mcafee, & was told to do a clean uninstall, & then re-install the software. the update icon still doesn't come on & i've just been clicking on manual updates for now. by the way, the auto update has always been on. i have the mcafee firewall set to stealth & have moved it back to standard to see if it would update, but no luck. i also have smart recommendations on, & all system guards are set to alert & log. the security ctr version is : 9.3, build:9.3.137, last update on 3/16>virus scan version is :dat version 5573 created 4/3, engine version 5301.4018, version 13.3, build 13.3.117. is mcafee not using the update box with the arrow spinning around anymore in their software? sorry if i'm not posting in the right place, this is my first time here. if you need anymore info to properly assess my problem, please post a reply & i'll try to respond asap. THANX for your time/help anyone.
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: updates not working?

The update arrow is still standard and should appear at least once a day.

Do you have any other security software installed? What operating system and service pack are you using also which version of Internet Explorer (go to Help/About)?

McAfee Security Center relies on Internet Explorer to function properly.

If you are running Internet Explorer 7 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button. OK and exit, re-open IE and re-enable all the add-ons under Tools/Manage Add-ons.

IE6 - Tools/Internet Options..
General tab: clear cookies, history and temporary files
Security tab: set all zones to default
Content tab: disable Content Advisor
Advanced tab: set to default. OK and exit.

Try disabling all pop-up blockers.

See if updates occur normally. You may have to wait a day or so.

Meanwhile could you run Virtual Technician, linked in my signature, and post its session ID # please?
jeff109
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

updates not working

thanx for the quick reply, ex_brit. normally when i post on any forum i list all the specs, sorry i was in a hurry & simply forgot. the OS: XP>SP3>IE 7>primary browser is FF3. i have sas(superantispyware & spyware blaster), but no other sec. software. i just have'nt had time to try to solve this problem, thats why its gone on so long. i reset ie7, & i've never had a problem with ie7 getting hijacked or any bad infections. i have no idea how the update icon stopped working. the pop-up blocker was always on when i had virus scan plus 2008 & did'nt present a problem with the updates. can't figure out what happened when i renewed it. i'll wait a day or so to see if the changes you suggested work. if it does'nt solve it, i'll come back on here. i ran the virtual tech before i did a live chat with a mcafee rep. & it did'nt come up with anything wrong. thanx again for the help.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

RE: updates not working

Weird, see how it goes. The online Chat techs maybe better to approach with this issue, especially on a weekend.

Perhaps a complete uninstall, cleanup using the MCPR tool in my signature, then reinstall from the online account.....?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community