cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ivyleaguer
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

unistalling mcafee antivirus plus and virtual technician

Hi I have decided to go with avast, as I was getting too much adware and viruses with mcafee. how do I safely uninstall all compenents including the virtual techncian? I tried running a search but could not find this information, if this has been discussed before please provide a link. Also, is it recommended using the control panel add and remove programs? And how would I cancel my subscription?

thanks

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: unistalling mcafee antivirus plus and virtual technician

Hi

Simply go to Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program  (Add or Remove Programs in XP) and find the McAfee items there and uninstall in the normal manner.

If you have a paid subscription you might want to go to your account page too and turn off auto-renewal http://home.mcafee.com/root/MyAccount.aspx .

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot and you should be all clear.

With any antivirus/firewall software you should always carry some extra anti-malware tools (see '3rd Party Tools' about halfway down THIS page) and be careful where you surf, what you download and keep Windows always totally up to date.

ivyleaguer
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

thanks however, I get an error page when I choose removal under the useful links.

Mohan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Hi ,

Please click the below link and run the McAfee removal tool to remove the products.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe.

If you have problem go to service.mcafee.com and look for  TS100507 which contains this link.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

ivyleaguer wrote:

thanks however, I get an error page when I choose removal under the useful links.

Mohan has given you the link, sorry I took so long...it must have been a temporary website glitch as it;s working now.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community