cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marek_max
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

two questions - info box & auto-removing feature...

Hi!

I have a question (McAfee Total Protection 2009 application) - i tested my program with eicar test file and IE does not allow to open it, so Mcafee seems to be working but I cannot see any info windows I used to see. I checked options and all alerts are ticked... Maybe I clicked 'do not show this alert again'? How to restore it?

Second - it is connected with the previous one - I do not like, that Mcafee makes a decission on behalf of me - it does not ask a question what to do with an infected files, it just quarentines it.. I used to have one false alarm on my system and every time and tried to open the file, Mcafee removed it... Annoying...

Thanks for your tips!

Tags (1)
4 Replies
rahulsingh
Contributor III
Message 2 of 5

Re: two questions - info box & auto-removing feature...

These alerts you speak of, are they from mcafee or from internet explorer?

McAfee Alerts popup on certain events. For Example if your firewall is switched off it will pop up with a message stating AM I PROT NO! Check Protection Status... etc...

Could you confirm the nature of these alerts please.

For your second question with regards to a false file detection, any file that is quarentiened can be restored and if the problem persists this file can be sent to the McAfee Avert Labs team for analysis. For more information with regards to the same click here.

marek_max
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

thank you for your reply!

Yes, IE just gives info that the eicar.com file cannot be opened (so it means Mcafee blocks it), but Mcafee does not give any alerts...

rahulsingh
Contributor III
Message 4 of 5

try the following, it may help.

click start

click run

type in inetcpl.cpl

click ok

with internet properties open go to advanced tab

under browsing uncheck enable third party browser add-on

click apply

click ok

restart computer

retry the browser and check if you still get that same issue.

marek_max
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

No, it has nothing to do with IE, Firefox etc... Two days ago I had a file that just disappeared from my disc, I tested it again on a virtual machine and there was a spyware inside, Mcafee has not showed ANY info, just removed the file when I tried to open it (exe file)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community