Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shochberg
Former Member
Message 1 of 24

turned off spyware protect - now keep getting screen alert

Hello,

Because McAfee continues to intefere with the operation of Thunnderbird, I turned off the spyware protection to allow Thunderbird to work properly.  Now I continually get a screen alert  from McAfee.  I see other messages on the forum talking about turning the message off, but I can't figure out where that setting is.

I'm using McAfee ATT  security suite, which of course means there's no tech support from McAfee/ATT.

Thanks.

S

23 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 24

Re: turned off spyware protect - now keep getting screen alert

Could you please be more specific as to exactly what protection you (Turned off) ?  There has been discussions in regards to issues with (E-mail Scanning). I certainly do not recommend your turning off your RTS. For doing so, you are definitely setting yourself up for infection......

I might add also, Moderators - PeaceKeeper,Ex_Brit are more informed in regards to Firefox. For I utilize Internet Explorer 11.

All the very best,

Regards,

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 6/19/14 9:52:40 AM EDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 24

You should be able to receive support from Technical Support at the top of this page under Useful Links

They are available 24/7 you can telephone them or contact them via chat. I personally do not recommend you contact them by email because it takes much longer to receive a response from them and you need some help now.

shochberg
Former Member
Message 4 of 24

Thanks.

What I turned off is:

Real Time Scanning / Settings / Scan for these threats / Spyware and other potentially unwanted programs

Again, there have been continual issues with McAfee slowing down the operation of Thunderbird mail to the point that it is unusable.  This seemed to fix the latest issue.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 24

Sorry Tom, I was unaware you were replying as well.

It happens....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
shochberg
Former Member
Message 6 of 24

Tom,

Sorry, no, as soon as they find out I have the software through ATT, McAfee rufuses to support - sends me to ATT, who then sends me to the "McAfee" desk, who then tells me I have the wrong number, who then sends me back to ATT, who then sends me to another McAfee desk, which is disconnected and refers me back to the number I first called - lather and repeat......

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 24

That was what I was concerned with. If I were you,I would immediately turm back on my Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Protection. You can from what I observed through discussions of issues with "ThunderBird Mail" you can elect to (Turn off) the scanning of (Email Attatchments). However, please do not turn off your RTS.

Hopefully Ex_Brit or PeaceKeeper go more in depth with you,regarding your issues.

Regards,

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
shochberg
Former Member
Message 8 of 24

I long ago turned off the email attachment scanning, but after some recent updates the problem recurred even with that setting turned off.

As I noted, I did not turn off RTS except for spyware.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 24

It's not really McAfee's fault that At & T insist on modifying the software to suit themselves and then insist on you contacting them for support., however, that is no help to you I realise.  I will email someone senior in support and ask them to post here.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 24

Again hopefully Ex_Brit, PeaceKeeper will pick up this thread. Or quite possibly k3tg can offer a suggestion as well. May I ask what particular type of "Messages" are you recieving from McAfee?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community