cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hopeless1
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

system guards question

Have I got something set wrong in McAfee?

We always buy the disk and install it. Just installed AntiVirus Plus 2010. The "about" in lower corner shows that I have Security Center 9.15 Bld 9.15.160; VirusScan 13.15  Bld 13.15.113. The problem is that sometimes when I use Print Preview in IE7, I get a McAfee warning about change to win ini file.

I am forced to allow or block it.  I haven't a clue what to do, I blocked one that I found out later was Process desc. Spooler Subsystem App - Process publisher: Microsoft Corp.  I guess that was about my printer. But blocking didn't stop the printer from working. What does Block do?

Why am I getting these messages? Are they Virus or Trojans that I'm allowing or blocking?

I am using Windows XP service pack 3. Dell computer.

I'm floundering.

2 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: system guards question

Hi hopeless 1,It is kind off tough to figure out if your an average user,like myself.If you open your security center &click on computer and files and configure on the bottom right side you will see system gaurds advanced.It should be the 3rd 1 down.If you click on that you can change how you want the gaurds to work.Most of mine were set to log only.Which is the part i am not 100 percent about.If they are all set to alert and log,you will get alot of pop ups.I could`nt tell you which ones should be set to alert,but maybe someone else with more experiance and understanding can answer that question.If you know how you want them set,then that`s where to go.Unfortunatly there is no restore to default for these items.

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: system guards question

Thanks NewJack

In the windows system guard there are more log / alerts checked than any other of the other guards.  In the recent events I see several "systemguards have allowed a one time change to your computer" and the brief explanation shows that this time it is Microsoft Word.

Why does that make a change to my computer?  I don't save anything I do in "Word".

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 1/29/10 6:43:16 PM GMT-05:00
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community